The large army tents thread...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Thought I'd start a thread about canvas army tents that are 9'x9' or larger. There were half a dozen or more large army tents at The Moot including 9x9s, 12x12s, 10 man Arctic tents and catering shelters. Personally I own an AFV/generator shelter and was happy using this at the 2013 Moot. For extended camping in the winter months I'm considering purchasing a 12x12 cook's tent which has a built in stove jack in the apex.
Do you own a military tent, what are your thoughts as to their suitability for extended bushcraft trips?

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I've been looking high and low for a suitable tent like that to fix to my van in the winter months. Using a woodstove too for toasty temperatures.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I just bought a scorpian tank crew tent on Gumtree for £ 70 , it weighs around 20kg and came in an army duffle bag .
Been working lots at the moment so ive not had a chance to use it yet . But I might get down to wooplaw soon to try it out and get some pics.
I just need to work out some sort of poles to support the high side that would usually be attached to a vehicle .

Craig. ..

Aug 27, 2014
Ireland
First post so I may as well make it constructive. Been using a Vango ark 400 tent for a few years now for trips out with the off roading club im a member of. Its grand, does the job, packs small . Im seriously looking at a scorpion tent or 9x9 since winning a frontier stove in a competition. Portability will not be as good obviously with an army surplus tent but in my case for extended stays the pros of a larger tent I can stand up in and heat as well as stay sheltered in the lovely summer evenings far outweigh the cons. Might end up with a 2 tent setup of the vango for short outings and the military tent for longer outings.

Mar 26, 2013
Worcestershire
Couldn't resist replying to this one. In reference to the 12 x 12 catering tent.... Me and my wife have lived in ours for the last 11 months full time and it has been amazing! Ours is a 2007 mark 3 version that improved windows and doors which has made a big difference. The windows are 3 layered with the first being a mesh to keep bugs out then a clear pvc one followed by the heavy duty outer canvass. We fitted a stove jack in one of the corners as opposed to the roof as it suited our layout better with the wood burner in the corner. We have a fully working kitchen with a sink that drains into a dry well and a gas cooker.

Other things to consider for a long term pitch like ours is to build a raised deck to sit the tent on. We made ours from old scaffold planks a and 18 mm ply for the floor boards. It sits about a foot of the ground and makes a huge difference to the comfort of the place and also helps with heat retention in winter. Other important bit is a fly sheet. We have a 4m x 7m clear plastic tarp that sits about 6 inches of the top of the tent also overhangs the walls by a metre creating some useful covered outside space. This really prolongs the life of the canvas and helps with insulation. We have also put some thick wool blankets in the roof for decoration as as well as added warmth.

Overall it has performed amazingly well. It's been up for 11 months through horrific weather and it looks as good as the day it went up. The canvas holds heat surprisingly well and with the wood burner going we managed 30 0c inside when it was -2 outside! We gave up our crazy expensive house to live the simple life and it was a seriously good move. The tent was a perfect choice.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Couldn't resist replying to this one. In reference to the 12 x 12 catering tent.... Me and my wife have lived in ours for the last 11 months full time and it has been amazing! Ours is a 2007 mark 3 version that improved windows and doors which has made a big difference. The windows are 3 layered with the first being a mesh to keep bugs out then a clear pvc one followed by the heavy duty outer canvass. We fitted a stove jack in one of the corners as opposed to the roof as it suited our layout better with the wood burner in the corner. We have a fully working kitchen with a sink that drains into a dry well and a gas cooker.

Other things to consider for a long term pitch like ours is to build a raised deck to sit the tent on. We made ours from old scaffold planks a and 18 mm ply for the floor boards. It sits about a foot of the ground and makes a huge difference to the comfort of the place and also helps with heat retention in winter. Other important bit is a fly sheet. We have a 4m x 7m clear plastic tarp that sits about 6 inches of the top of the tent also overhangs the walls by a metre creating some useful covered outside space. This really prolongs the life of the canvas and helps with insulation. We have also put some thick wool blankets in the roof for decoration as as well as added warmth.

Overall it has performed amazingly well. It's been up for 11 months through horrific weather and it looks as good as the day it went up. The canvas holds heat surprisingly well and with the wood burner going we managed 30 0c inside when it was -2 outside! We gave up our crazy expensive house to live the simple life and it was a seriously good move. The tent was a perfect choice.

Sounds good...would love to see some pictures...??

Nov 20, 2012
nottingham
I picked up a 12 x 12 post Bushcraft Show, as Coleman Event Shelter just did'nt cut it in howling wind and rain. Very pleased with tent incl ground sheet, I selected the catering version with insulated roof with a view to getting stove for winter.

First time out was two weeks in Austria, good job as it chucked it down most days. I then took it to Bushmoot, very comfy and dry, rain seems to have followed me all summer. Thanks to Craig and Dean for help putting up/taking down.

I also bought a Diamond Brand USMC Combat Tent, brilliant quality and spares, plus found tactical eyeware and pasket of fags inside as well as sand from somewhere hot and dusty?

All the best everybody

Ian

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mines not military, but its a big canvas one.:D I guess it looks a little 'glampy' but I love it. Youve heard of wall tents? Well this is a 'cabin' tent
Its six foot six high and got four large canvas zipper doors, each one's got strong black mosquito mesh, on the outside, so you can unzip them a bit or fully and youve got windows by looking through the mesh.
Its very sturdy, and has got a canopy, and is heavy duty 10 ounce duck canvas.
Its nice and light on the inside because its cream coloured.
Ordered it from cabelas in the USA. Postage was not cheap, but it only cost what a bell tent would cost over here.
Very comfortable with a US army cot bed in it.

[video=youtube;ywbQhb8E9wY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbQhb8E9wY[/video]

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017
cornwall
I bought a army 5 man arctic tent from anchor supplies many years ago. We toured all over scandinavia and europe using it and it was very comfortable for the 2 of us with room for 2 american camp beds , 2 chairs and a table for the cooker etc.. eventuall we got a campervan so now its in a cupboard under the stairs, happy days

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ooooo my beautiful VW! I blacked out at the wheel of that VW and hit three parked cars, then pushed a fourth VW up over the curb, and into the owners front garden through a victorian stone wall. Wrote it off. Ended up in hospital [again] :( I thought all the nurses were twins, seeing double, couldnt figure it out. And sold that canoe to go to sweden. :( God it sucks being skint and ill.

I like that first tent Bob. Looks well cool.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I just bought a scorpian tank crew tent on Gumtree for £ 70 , it weighs around 20kg and came in an army duffle bag .
Been working lots at the moment so ive not had a chance to use it yet . But I might get down to wooplaw soon to try it out and get some pics.
I just need to work out some sort of poles to support the high side that would usually be attached to a vehicle .

Craig. ..
I got three legs from a 9x9 set and had them sectioned into three with a insert to maintain rigidity, at the top I put a bolt through and slip the webbing loop over, then peg it down as normal. The legs being cut into three mean that its all compact when rolled up. The only problem is it presents a big flat side which is not great in high winds in the open. Better to try and site it with some protection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE