Trip Report The Inaugural Gathering of the Steam Tent Co-operative.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Steam-Tent-Co-op---Sign.jpg

A little over a year ago I came away from a living history event with the seed germ of an idea. I’d been knocking around re-enactment groups for about twenty five years and I was feeling a bit jaded. Definitely looking for some new scenery. I was starting to get into Steampunk, an aesthetic that I’ve always liked but all the events I went to seemed to be about shopping and promenading in fancy clothes. The music scene wasn’t really grabbing my attention but I did like the retro look. Victoriana with a bit of creativity.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---The-Utilitent.jpg

What I was looking for was some camping and outdoor life with that Retro \ Steampunk vibe running through it but I wasn’t finding it.

I talked to lots of people that said they wanted something like that as well but I couldn’t find anyone actually doing it.

I started sounding out the idea online and found considerable interest in the Steampunk community but also amongst re-enactors and the Bushcraft community but still found nothing happening.

When an opportunity came up to get a beautiful camp site in the Midlands, complete with a Scout Hut, for the early May bank holiday weekend. I took a huge risk and booked it.

Almost instantly, most of the people that had shown interest online from the Re-enactment and Steampunk communities backed away saying they had other things to do. It was easy to see why nobody had tried to do this sort of thing before.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Fire-Rig-and-Utiliy-Tent.jpg

I was almost tempted to give up, there and then, cut my losses and forget the whole thing, but a few of the bushcrafters were still intrigued.

I held my nerve and pushed on. I think somebody once said “If you build it, they will come.” I had fairly good idea of what could be achieved but it would be down to us to prove it.

We organised a small photo shoot on the Halloween weekend. bushcrafters are not put off by a little cold weather, and with a handful of decent pictures we started promoting the idea on here and on FaceBook.

The interest certainly grew but there was not much sign of commitment really.

In the end it was a small gathering, not much larger than the photo shoot but we were treated to the best weather anyone could have hoped for.

Port-Lamp.jpg

Many people in the bushcraft community already enjoy a traditional approach to camping. Low tech, retro styled equipment combined with a make it and modify it yourself attitude are, in many ways, perfectly in tune with the Steampunk ethos.

I knew the practical side of the event would be no problem but I didn’t know how things would balance between the simple old school camping and the more eccentric aspects of Steampunk.

When Steve had finished pitching his tent and hung his newly finished Iron Hat over the entrance, I knew I had no worries.

Iron-Clad-Hat.jpg

Woodland-Camp.jpg

What was great to see was how many people had been gathering paraphernalia and making their own clothing.

We’ve all taken our first tentative steps into a new environment but the sheer enthusiasm and curiosity on show from everyone here was very encouraging.

A new type of event is always going to be a learning curve of course. I think I probably learned as much as anyone over the weekend but one thing that is almost universal amongst the camping fraternity is the easy comradeship of the camp fire.

New friendships were made and old ones refreshed. Most people were perfectly capable of being independent but the communal fire rig soon became the beating heart of the camp, as I hoped it would.

One thing I must say. After thirty years or so of camping with Re-enactors, Larpers, Bushcrafters and many others, I have become used to the early morning ritual of cleaning up the campfire circle. Removing bottles and beer cans, plastic bags and fag ends. Sadly, it’s almost universal.

Fire-Rig-and-Bottle-Jack.jpg

Imagine my surprise then, when rising early on the first morning, as is my custom, to find the camp spotless ! Not one thing needing to be picked up ! and not just around the camp fire but throughout the whole camp. I could have wept with joy. After all these years, these are exactly the sort of people I want to camp with.

Voting-Chips-and-Medals.jpg

We had decided to hold a best dressed tent competition for a bit of fun and Damian and his brother produced some fabulous medals a set of chips that people could cast their votes with. Debs and I disqualified our set up as we had been at this sort of thing a bit longer than everyone else and when the chips were counted on Sunday the results were clear. In traditional order.

DecoTense.jpg

The Bronze medal went to Phil’s amazing collection of equipment, all squeezed into in the smallest tent of the camp.

Tinky-s-Table.jpg

The Silver medal when to Pete, with possibly the largest tent but sadly I olny seem to have taken a picture of the table outside.

Another fine collection of interesting stuff though.

Jubal-s-Tent.jpg

The clear winner on this camp though was Colin with a mid sized wall tent laid out in simple but very effective style, well done to all the winners.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Why-Steampunks-Wear-Goggles.jpg

The fire rig was built to form a communal focal point for the camp. It provides constant hot water for tea and coffee and cooking facilities for all.

I think it is fair to say that most established campers enjoy good food while under canvas.

Not for us dehydrated rations and burned offerings.

I learnt a long time ago that there is no less control when cooking over a camp fire than most people expect on their stove at home.

Hanging griddles, cast iron pots and Victorian conveniences such as ratcheting pot hangers provide good control of temperature.

A clockwork bottle jack even turns your meat in front of the fire to get a nice even roast.

If you ever wondered why Steampunks wear goggles, it’s all the better to see their food with.

Bottle-Jacked-Poussin-S.jpg
Bottle-Jacked-Poussin---Phoenix-Rising-S.jpg
Bottle-Jacked-Poussin-Ready-S.jpg
The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Sausage-Mash-Up.jpg

We had a communal Bangers and Mash night on Saturday for all that wanted to join in. Certainly, nobody went hungry.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Set-up-for-Breakfast.jpg

As the light fades at the end of the day, the camp takes on a different kind of atmosphere.

SteaMP3.jpg

As a photographer, this has always been my favourite time of the day but when camping it heralds the most social aspect of camp life.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---A-Seat-by-the-Fireside.jpg

I think there is something very special, almost primal, about the act of gathering around the hearth at night.

I have made some of the best friendships of my life around the warm glow of the camp fire.

The company on this weekend was good indeed and I very much look forward to future encampments with one and all.

It is wise to bring a comfortable chair and wood and canvas “director’s” chairs were an popular choice which maintained the retro look.

An enamel or tinware cup serves well for drinking and a bag or box to hide your empties makes it all the easier to keep track of your belongings in the darkness.

Steam-Tent-Co-op---Night-Camp-RC-I.jpg

Decanting your drink into something you don’t need to hide is, of course, another way to go and adds a touch of style as well.

Everyone brought a lamp or two for which there was communal paraffin available. This provided good illumination for safe passage through the camp at night but also created a magical atmosphere.

A stick with a point at one end and a hook at the other is an easy convenience for hanging the light at a much better level for working with.

Although it would have been nice to have a few more people at our first event, we all agreed it had been a resounding success and inspired us all with more plans for the future.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-Banner.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks absolutely excellent :D
I'm glad the company was convivial and of the kind that might encourage further events.

Thank you for sharing with the rest of us :D

M

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This seems to be the direction I'm moving in now. It seems that I'm considered redundant as far as re-enactment events go. Too old to see what I'm doing without glasses.

Sorry I haven't had much to post on the site for a while but I thought there might be a few folk here that this sort of thing strikes a chord with.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
i like this. It reminds me of the Camping Club meets my parents used to take me to when I was a child. Everything was canvas, brass and handmade from wood: not a scrap of plastic and absolutely no litter!

Me, I soon detected to lightweight camping and stayed there, but I was ever a disappointment to my parents.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I really love the steampunk aesthetic.
I'm going to have to pull my finger out and think about how to steampunk some of my equipment so I can try to come to one of these.
Would you be open to those who of us with much less steampunk gear?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Would you be open to those who of us with much less steampunk gear?

If you were to look really closely at the kit that I had for the weekend I'd say that I had one item that you could truly say was of a steampunk nature and that was my ironclad hat which is in Gary's write up.

The rest of my kit was retro based with some modern stuff which was tucked away when not in use.

For steam tent think Victorian and Edwardian camping and you'd blend right in. You want to do steampunk get some goggles :rolleyes: :lmao:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That looks great. I really like the steampunk aesthetic too. I kind of stumbled onto it when looking for trouser braces of all things (still the best way to hold your trousers up). I may have to steampunk some of my gear.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
This has given me a big boost to get myself a canvas tent.
I've been after a baker tent since I first saw pictures of them.
However given the prices I migt have to settle for trying to make one...

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great write up Gary.

I had just acquired a large 10 man arctic canvas tent for the meet, but I had intended on being under a canvas tarp in a tinkers/boggers style camp.

For the Blist Hill event I am going that way a light-weightish set up to show you don't need much to make a good camp set up, I have some wooden poles ready for the trap and a good sized hazel tripod for the set up.

Going to make myself a wooden tool box to hold tools and hides stuff away from sight. I am going with old style back pack or two to hold my gear to make it light weight as well. Easy to start small and work from there, although I now have the big tent ready (Thanks Two-Dogs) for colder or bigger meets as it has a stove jack which will fit my Russian stove well.

The basics don't change something to sleep on and under and in :) (Tarp or tent canvas is best, old style British camp cot or a more modern one covered by a good sized blanket seems to be the favourite, I slept in two 100% wool blankets)
Something to carry stuff, something to cook on (either a good wood step up or most of us also had paraffin stoves)
some form of light (paraffin stoves and candles work best) I have the wick style paraffin lights (now 3 and a Swiss folding candle lantern with mica "glass")
some cook wear (enamel tin wear was a favourite but cast iron or old school steel good, I used an American mess kit for my fry pan)
Something to drink out of (wood or tin wear again) :)
a cutting tool or two ( I used my Dave Budd knives as they are the most traditional you can get and a barrel knife and opinel, I had a GF axe and wooden collapsible Ray Mears saw and a folding opinel saw and other wood tools) but I am a wood/bogger camp after all.
Food wise just keep it proper food not rat packs or dehydrated stuff so no pouches of food lying around.
Clothing is mainly natural fibres I wore wool trousers with cotton thigh pockets which I got from the Finnish surplus store via Cliff, a Jacobite cotton shirt and wool waistcoat and wool flat camp ( I am a working man, not a steampunk gent) goggles I am working on :)
I have a brass pocket watch to tell time and I am going to try and make a wrist rig for it to go into to make it more steampunk

Reactions: crosslandkelly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE