Sycamore Spoonage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely :) they really are :cool:
You have a good eye (and hands) for some very pleasing shapes.

Isn't Sycamore just an ideal wood for the kitchen ?
I have used dough rising troughs made of it that were literally carved from a split yard long length of trunk. They were a scant quarter of an inch thick, over a hundred years old, and still superb to work with.
No splits, no stains, no knotholes, just a lovely crisp wood that doesn't taint anything, but takes wear and work very well indeed.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely :) they really are :cool:
You have a good eye (and hands) for some very pleasing shapes.

Isn't Sycamore just an ideal wood for the kitchen ?
I have used dough rising troughs made of it that were literally carved from a split yard long length of trunk. They were a scant quarter of an inch thick, over a hundred years old, and still superb to work with.
No splits, no stains, no knotholes, just a lovely crisp wood that doesn't taint anything, but takes wear and work very well indeed.

I think after Birch, Sycamore is my favourite wood to carve, not only as you say is it perfect for the kitchen, but you can get so many variations in it, carve it fresh and its creamy white,leave it while and you can get some incredible spalting, let it season and the ray patterns come to the fore and make for a really attractive look.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I love your carving skill, is way above mine with no argument!

At what point did you get to the stage where you were blasé enough to not be so proud of what you had created, that you were happy to actually use them rather than be 'afraid' to get them damaged ?

:sulk:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I love your carving skill, is way above mine with no argument!

At what point did you get to the stage where you were blasé enough to not be so proud of what you had created, that you were happy to actually use them rather than be 'afraid' to get them damaged ?

:sulk:

Cheers mate, i dont think i ever really got to the stage where im happy to use them, i still have a load that are "too nice " to use, including some of the first ones i ever carved, these days i guess im at a point where if it does get damaged i can accept it and either trim it up or just make another, in fact some of my personal favourite designs have come through mistakes, ie i have design in my mind or even drawn out on the billet, then a slip of the knife, a cut too deep, at the wrong angle or a natural flaw scuppers the design, but in doing so makes it better.

What does make me proud is seeing other people use what ive made though.

Reactions: Hunkyfunkster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE