Swiss Army Knife Magnifying Glass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone used the magnifying glass in a Swiss Army Knife to start a fire? I've managed to do it twice, and it's really satisfying! The sun has to be at its peak, but it can be done. If you haven't done it, give it a go...it's fun!:)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have used it to get an ember going then transfer to a bundle of tinder.

IIRC the focal length of the lens is such on the large SAK you can rest it on a map or item and its in focus.

Ha! I spent a number of years in the "liquid sunshine" end of the States so I understand! :lmao: John, that's pretty accurate...held slightly away, approx. 3-4 cm from tinder, and with the right amount of sunlight it will do it. I have a Swisschamp, Woodsman and Explorer that I love nothing more than seeing the looks on people's faces when I do this trick. That, and saving the day with the corkscrew at a party! :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Sun? What is this SUN you speak of!? He's a witch. Burn him! With his glass MAGNIFICATION! Sorcery.

You speak as one that has knowledge of such dark arts? this word "magnification" you know its meaning?....... thus you sir! are convicted by your own voice!.......burn him also! :eek:

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I haven't played with a magnifying glass in the sun for years. I used to enjoy writing my name on a piece of white paper and then scorch the writing like a laser.
Always used to remind me of Goldfinger!
I sometimes take a loupe to look at beetles and orb spiders when I'm nature spotting, I'm sure that'd work.
I also have one of them fresnel lens somewhere but I haven't made fire with it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE