Svea 123R

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anyone got one they don’t use? The one on eBay just went for silly money, but I have an itch needing scratching here.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Its still cheaper than the modern msr and primus stoves. Personally i prefer it and mines around 35-40 years old, but i have to agree for that price you may as well buy new.
Just one thing, ive heard that the new ones are made in China and not quite as good as the older ones, i dont know how true it is.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Its still cheaper than the modern msr and primus stoves. Personally i prefer it and mines around 35-40 years old, but i have to agree for that price you may as well buy new.
Just one thing, ive heard that the new ones are made in China and not quite as good as the older ones, i dont know how true it is.

Yeah, I read that about the China build. Thing is, the China factories make most of our gear, they used to be associated with poor manufacturing, dodgy materials etc, but that was years ago. My favourite user knife is a Spyderco Tenacious, it’s built really well and has taken years of toil. I’m at a point where I’m trusting the quality, not liking the environmental impact, and being very impressed they’re not prepared to deal with our plastic anymore.

Reactions: Billy-o

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yeah, I read that about the China build. Thing is, the China factories make most of our gear, they used to be associated with poor manufacturing, dodgy materials etc, but that was years ago. My favourite user knife is a Spyderco Tenacious, it’s built really well and has taken years of toil. I’m at a point where I’m trusting the quality, not liking the environmental impact, and being very impressed they’re not prepared to deal with our plastic anymore.

Yeah, I have the Spyderco Ambitious, nice little knife that didn't break the bankso I don't mind having it at work where I might possibly lose it.
Got a Svea 123R, there's a learning curve with it but its a little beast thats surprisingly light when you factor in its built in tank and so on.
Plus its a thing of beauty.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anyone tried the little silencer for it?

Not yet, I kind of like that doodlebug V-1 noise I hear on the YouTube reviews. The silencers seem to be crazy money for a single cast item.

My weak mind has caused me to buy the stove though, my dear wife is going to go utter nuts if she finds out the prices of these things. If I told her it was £25 she’d still hurt me in places where gentleman can hurt. It was £92!

Anyone that files the above under “B for blackmail” will be quietly taken behind the bike sheds. :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pity we can't 'like' a post twice.

:beerchug:

I’m sure I’m amongst friends here, I’m also sure most of us tell a little fib from time to time. She’ll be completely fine with a bacon sandwich and some decent coffee while out and about, but not with what the price was. I have a hankering for one of the tarps in Big Monsters GB thread, but that could result in actual physical damage and possibly the letting of blood. :D

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
[Intending to add to thread, not hijack it:]
I really liked my Optimus steel box, until it got nicked. It was stable. Can any one weigh in on how tippy the Svea is?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
[Intending to add to thread, not hijack it:]
I really liked my Optimus steel box, until it got nicked. It was stable. Can any one weigh in on how tippy the Svea is?

Quite tippy, but one of the video reviewers said the folding gas canister stands are a perfect fit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE