Survival shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, that's cool. I had a conversation with Mors about this type of shelter and he experimented a lot with this sort of thing. High gains for minimal weight etc, easy to heat, dry and cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gcckoka

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Thanks for posting this, looks like an excellent system for emergency use or ultra lightweight.
I went to YouTube to like it as I would like to see part 2.

I realise it might defeat the original purpose. But I'm wondering if there would be much extra benefit to a second plastic sheet as a second skin to the original shelter. Leaving an air gap of about 4 inches between them.
My thinking is it might help with potential condensation, but also might improve heat retention.

Also as a natural worrier I'm a little concerned with the flammability. I wonder if there are any alternative materials or perhaps a way to introduce a barrier in case of unexpected embers...

Anyhow it's very interesting and I'm going to have to research some more.

Reactions: Ascobis

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Outdoor stores here carry aluminized (mylar) plastic sheets which reflect heat ( = infrared).
We call them "space blankets!". About a 4" square x 1/4" thick (30g?). Not about to open one to see the area.
Have 2 of them in my (bird) shooting vest and 2 more in my day pack.
In anybody's emergency, I can imagine them getting ripped and punctured.
Condensation could be an issue but in a howling mountain blizzard, there are bigger concerns.
You aren't going to be given any chance of a nice cozy camp fire.

Two sheets to get out of the wind. Third to get off the snow, the fourth to wrap a person in.

Reactions: Ascobis

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seem to remember another discussion when Mors's super shelter came up, that clear flame retardant sheeting now is a thing. But at the time, was only sold in large rolls.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE