Stubai gouges for making a kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time, and I'm looking at gouges suitable for making kuksat in a few different sizes. Ideally, I'd get a tool that can also make ladles, spoons and bowls, as well.

I don't want to go all out on really expensive tools straight away, so just two or maybe three reasonably good quality tools to complement what I already have (chip carving knives, flat chisels and mortice chisels, saws and planes).

So I stumbled upon Stubai tools this morning, and wondered if type 5232 in 16mm and 30mm would be a good start. These have a very deep U shape, that I imagine is useful to avoid the outer tips from digging into the wood as I carve out the inner shape of the bowl.

stubai-forme11.jpg

For shallower bowls, I imaging that I could still use the 5232, but that a shallower gouge would make it easier to keep a nice smooth shape, so something like type 5236 would be better, and probably a wider size, too, like & 30mm and a 60mm...

stubai-forme6-det.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need a high sweep to rough out the void of the spoon = the bowl part. Even #8 or #9 is plenty deep
Then you need a shallow sweep to smooth away the ridges that the deep sweep always leaves behind.
Youwon't need more than a 15mm width as you never push the entire edge into the wood anyway.
At the end, you might do a bit of smoothing with a piece of 220 then 320 grit sandpapers before finishing.

The option might be to buy a spoon knife such as the Mora #162 or #163.
Pull on a skewed stroke to peel off spiral shavings.

I've always done OK with a straight 9/15 (Pfeil), not bent, for roughouts followed by some sort of a crooked knife with a J-shape sweep.
You carve sideways with those as you would with the Mora .

Reactions: Greenbeard

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Kåsas are cut using a knife by tradition. Morakniv make some decent ones.

As you apply a more gentle pressure using your hands, (with a knife) you have a better feel, control and can get the walls thinner.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bent "spoon gouges" extend the roughing out to any hollow forms and relief carvings better than a knife.
Both hands on a gouge with the wood in a fixed position works well.
BUT,
If you want to do spoons and kuksa, take a good look at the Mora #162, #163 and #164, instead of any gouges.
I'll use a farrier's hoof knife revised to 12 degrees, but that's just me. They all look a lot like the Mora #171.

Half the job is keeping your edges "carving sharp." Not shaving sharp, that's for skinny hair proteins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE