Stove comparison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That was a very good watch. Very good. Well done.
I would have liked to see how you balanced a pot or pan on each one of them.
The wood stoves appeared to burn much more effectively than the meth stoves.

Would it be a good idea to carry a piece of ply, say 12" x 16", as a flat stove base?

Reactions: nobby8126 and Janne

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
That was a very good watch. Very good. Well done.
I would have liked to see how you balanced a pot or pan on each one of them.
The wood stoves appeared to burn much more effectively than the meth stoves.

Would it be a good idea to carry a piece of ply, say 12" x 16", as a flat stove base?
Cheers, those meths stoves are excellent for a quick brew or lightweight pack I take mine everywhere. The woodstoves are great the gasifiers reduce the soot on the pans aswell. A base would help just more to carry.
Pound shop pizza tray turned upside down does the job. Mind you these days I tend to use a tripod... less bending down!
There speaks a man of experience

Reactions: Robson Valley
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Great (and real-life) review.
Disappointed to see how much 'looking after' the gasifier stoves take - it doesn't look like you can set them running and leave them for more than a 'couple of minutes'.

My 'normal' stove is a 99p (ebay 'Pocket-Rocket knock off, when there was a 'price war' running) gas stove.
Add in a 230g gas cartridge and it is quick, clean and flexible. 2 minutes for a 500ml rolling boil (enough for 2 mugs)
This stove & a 230g cartridge gives about 75 minutes of 'full power'.

I keep a 'Fire in a box' stove in my pack 'JIC' (Just in case).
It needs little looking after, simple and does the job - for about £5 its worth having one anyway (and only about 150 grams)
I have made a couple of 'pan-bars' to hook over the top for additional support of small pans / mugs.
I have also made a 'toast rack' :-
Mk1 - two S shaped stainless steel wires.
Mk1A - slightly better formed toasting 'hooks'.
Mk2 - from small "small squares'' stainless steel wire mesh that is bent over at the top to hook over the sides, and bent into an open "U" at the bottom to hold a slice of bread. Not perfect but the bread does 'resemble' toast and not too smokey having been on the side rather than the top and it is the conducted heat thru' the side doing the toasting.

IMG-20180524-171711.jpg

Resized-Toast-Racks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzia and mikehill

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Great (and real-life) review.
Disappointed to see how much 'looking after' the gasifier stoves take - it doesn't look like you can set them running and leave them for more than a 'couple of minutes'.

My 'normal' stove is a 99p (ebay 'Pocket-Rocket knock off, when there was a 'price war' running) gas stove.
Add in a 230g gas cartridge and it is quick, clean and flexible. 2 minutes for a 500ml rolling boil (enough for 2 mugs)
This stove & a 230g cartridge gives about 75 minutes of 'full power'.

I keep a 'Fire in a box' stove in my pack 'JIC' (Just in case).
It needs little looking after, simple and does the job - for about £5 its worth having one anyway (and only about 150 grams)
I have made a couple of 'pan-bars' to hook over the top for additional support of small pans / mugs.
I have also made a 'toast rack' :-
Mk1 - two S shaped stainless steel wires.
Mk1A - slightly better formed toasting 'hooks'.
Mk2 - from small "small squares'' stainless steel wire mesh that is bent over at the top to hook over the sides, and bent into an open "U" at the bottom to hold a slice of bread. Not perfect but the bread does 'resemble' toast and not too smokey having been on the side rather than the top and it is the conducted heat thru' the side doing the toasting.

IMG-20180524-171711.jpg

Resized-Toast-Racks.jpg
Loving the toaster mate, defo giving that a go. With wooden cat litter the gasifiers can be left for about 45 mins with no faffing

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
With wooden cat litter the gasifiers can be left for about 45 mins with no faffing

That's good to know, but the downside (for me) would be its something else to have to 'carry-in', and, the wood stove is just my JIC stove.
The small gasifier stoves I have looked at on ebay seem to be about 450g in weight, add in some cat litter and I can easily carry another gas stove and another gas cartridge (admittedly the wood stove has a limitless life) But I think I'll stop with my 'fire-in-a-box' use twigs and put up with the smoke.

Thanks for posting the video It was well presented and covered the subject well - the usual American 'on the trail videos' just don't come across to me as being real 'comparisons'.

Reactions: nobby8126

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE