Steampunk Tool Chest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a craftsman I have a natural love of good tools.

My workshop is full of useful, weird and wonderful equipment for metal and wood work, leather work, carving and silverwork, all crafts that I have learned in the course of making the artefacts that I use in my living history work.

It is perhaps not much of a surprise then that I have brought that love of craft and making to Steampunk as well.

On my living history events I have lots of period tool boxes so lately I have been looking for something suitable for carrying a variety of tools with me to Steampunk events in a more Victorian/ Edwardian style.

There cannot be many such tool lovers that have not hankered for a good engineers tool chest so finding a nice example on my local boot sale was a great find for me. To be fair, it was covered in stickers and needed a bit of TLC but the potential was there.

Toolbox-III.jpg

The stickers came off with a combination of lighter fluid and a cabinet scraper. The crusty varnish was taken down with sandpaper and out came the furniture restorers wax to give a better sheen to the wood without losing too much of the character.

I want it to be portable for use at the Steam Tent Co-operative camps where we intend to do some craft workshops, so a couple of antique brass handles were mounted on the sides for carrying. It also needed a key making for the front cabinet lock and a new escutcheon for the same which I made from a spare bit of brass plate I had lying around in the workshop.

That was the outside sorted. Inside next.

Toolbox-II.jpg

The drawers were lined with green vinyl flock imitating the felt baize more traditionally used. It was OK but looked a bit worn and tatty in places. I could have replaced it with similar material but decided to order some self adhesive backed felt instead. Much better.

Toolbox-VI.jpg

The drawer handles were plastic which resembled Bakelite but did not really float my boat so I ordered some nice little turned oak knobs like ones I had used before on another project, to replace them with.

All it needed now was a set of labels for the drawers.

Toolbox-V.jpg

Another online search brought up some nice "antiqued" label card holders that were a good size for the drawers. They arrived with matching coloured screws but sadly they were cross heads.

Although they date back to the 30s I wanted something a bit more timeless so with a quick root through my hardware drawer I found some tiny brass slot headed screws just the right size. A dab with Liver of Sulphur tarnished them down to the right sort of tone to blend in an on they went.

The label cards them selves were produced on the computer in CorelDraw, printed on cream stock paper and then attacked with a wet tea bag to give them some "age" as well.

Toolbox-IV.jpg

Now I have a proper home for some of the nicer "old school" tools in my workshop and a portable chest which will add to the display in my tent at Steampunk encampments. Result.

Last edited:
Reactions: zornt

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That looks well nice. The additions an alterations you've made look like they are part of a original piece meant to look like that in the first place.

Does the front vertical face with the lock at the top come off completely then slot into a recess at the bottom to create that shelf in the lowest picture?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Very nice Gary, lovely chest. You've made a cracking job with mods and they all fit it nicely. goodjob

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
That is a beautiful chest (fnar,fnar)

I love steampunk stuff, but seem to lack the creativity to make any.

I look forward to more steampunk-esque updates

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That looks well nice. The additions an alterations you've made look like they are part of a original piece meant to look like that in the first place.

Does the front vertical face with the lock at the top come off completely then slot into a recess at the bottom to create that shelf in the lowest picture?

Yes it does. It can also be used as a laptop working surface which is why I took the trouble to felt it up.

If I'm doing mucky or dusty work I can have it felt down or felt up for delicate work.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is a beautiful chest (fnar,fnar)

I love steampunk stuff, but seem to lack the creativity to make any.

I look forward to more steampunk-esque updates

I just start with things that I find and then work them up as I like.

The nice thing is that you are not limited by "authenticity" as I am usually with living history stuff.

Trunk-I.jpg

This is what I did recently with an old trunk I've had lying around in the garage for a couple of decades.

Trunk-II.jpg

I can still use it for storage and transportation but once on site it'll make a useful cabinet in the bell tent.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Good luck with that. I tend to find online prices much higher than boot sales on just about everything.

eBay and Bargain Hunt have both pushed real world prices up to unrealistic levels as well. Everybody thinks their tat is worth a fortune now.

Most of it is still just tat but a very small amount of it has potential in the right hands.

Any item offered for sale is only "worth" what someone will pay for it. I must scan over thousands of items on a boot sale and pick out less than 0.1% Half of those I put down again because the price is too high so I reckon less than one in two thousand things people try to sell are actually worth what they think they are.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Aye, it's amazing how the prices go. I watch numerous things but often the price goes silly. Watching a wooden fire box and it was £4.99 for days and suddenly £25!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE