1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We're live with the new forums, have a look around and get settled in.

There have been a couple of members that have had issues logging in, if your password doesn't work use the "Forgot your password" link in the community section. If an email doesn't arrive check your spam box.

Any other issues logging in please contact admin@bushcraftuk.com

We've created a new thread in the Suggestions, Bugs and Feedback forums for you to use to report any issues or give feedback. http://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/new-site-bugs-feedback-questions.147565/

There are a few things we still need to sort out but the forums should be fine so get stuck in.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a bushcraft School

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chatter' started by Merlin26, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Merlin26

Hi

I have just joined this site as I am looking at opening a local Bush-craft and Outdoor Skills training centre and am looking for some advice from others who have opened and run successful ventures such as this.

A bit of my background:

I have over 25 years experience in training young people on a voluntary basis (mostly through Scouting) in Bush-craft, Camp-craft and Outdoor skills and have a further 7 years experience prior to that of being on the receiving end of such training.

I am now looking at setting myself up locally and moving away from my established career as a Commercial Consultant.

I have already located and obtained permission to utilise over 200 acres of woodland (as needed) that I shall be renting rather than purchasing.

I have procured the equipment needed (incl. tents, axes, knives, saws, steels, cooking equipment, etc)

I will be getting my First Aid training sorted in the new year and assume I will also need a DBS for my company to cover working with young people and vulnerable people.

I am currently looking into getting the appropriate Insurance cover as recommended by a fellow Bush-craft enthusiast who has her own company already.

I am looking to set this up properly but do not know the current requirements on skills / training certification needed (if any) or any other 'red tape' considerations I need to obtain. .... This is where I am seeking advice if anyone would be kind enough to offer some from their own experience.

Marketing advice on what works and doesn't would also be appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. Robson Valley

Robson Valley Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

My cousin taught for "Outward Bound" for some years.
    The company is global and still very much in business after many years.

I suggest that you look at their offerings for ideas as well as
    the target audience, even their business programs.

3. sunndog

sunndog Full Member

Best advice i reckon is be prepared for a long haul before it becomes your sole income

4. Fadcode

Fadcode Settler

I have to agree with sunndog, to derive a sole income from this venture will not be easy, and until you have established yourself and have a good reputation it wont be easy ...however

There are ways to quickly establish yourself, as ( as far as I know) there is no official body that represents the Bushcraft Industry, and those established Bushcraft Schools issue there own training certificates, diploma's etc, you will need to set up a proper training syllabus, H&S, First Aid, etc and apply to have it recognised as an educational qualification, level 3, 2 etc.

Now the best way to do this is to tie up with an educational establishment, such as a University,Local School, etc and establish your training as education merit, by doing this you would then qualify for funding from the National Lottery, etc .
    Because you have access to a large piece of land, you can also incorporate other activities to not only raise funds, but to reinforce the importance of your training as educational, for example Forestry Management,wood carving, replanting trees, clearance of rhododendrons ( government grant available for this) and other pest tree. varieties.botany, wild life studies,etc,etc

Depending on your rights regarding the rented property, you could open up part of it for wild camping, hold shows exhibitions, meets, etc etc, which can be held even in the winter months.

I think you have a good opportunity to develop a good business, get the youngsters in the local schools interested in outdoor activities, which I feel is much needed, offer training to the teachers on a free basis to get them interested and they will push the schools to get involved, there is a multitude of activities you can offer, and the more you can do the better the chance of being successful,

What this will mean ultimately is a lot of planning both academically and in forestry itself, making sure the woods are a safe place, sites are established in safe areas for the activities to be carried out,fire pits, toilets facilities, water etc. if you need help why not offer a long free camping week/weekend on here I am sure there are plenty who would love to come down and help(just a thought).
    Anyway I can only wish you all the best in your new venture

5. woodstock

woodstock Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Xyleria and I tried and between us we know our stuff the response to our adds and marketing amounted to almost zero income from that venture, even that xyleria has a vast knowledge of fungi,and flora.