Wanted Spyderco Wolfspyder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Hi all! About to pull the trigger on one of these but would (unsurprisingly) prefer not to pay £150 for it. Is anyone looking to offload one before I do? Cash or potential swaps waiting.

Cheers

Dan

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’d have a word on EdgeMatters forum, some of the members there may have bought one, there are lots of Spyderco fans and the Wolfspyder is ridiculously niche for general use, so they may be sitting in drawers. You may find one for sale. I’m afraid they were almost universally panned by many BB members for several reasons. Some of which were, why carry a locking folder when a fixed blade Scandi will do a better job and be stronger? Do Spyderco know much about bushcraft (NO) or are they jumping on the gravy train after the generally ill received fixed blade bushcrafter (YES)? And why did they make this knife so exclusive it is riding on the rep of one man, Ray Mears?. A bloke who really knows his stuff, he loves the Scandi grind, but I don’t get it at all. I’d go high Scandi and bevel, but not zero ground, too much metal and accuracy needed to get the knife back after abuse. Even the completely excellent Mike Reid (Pie In The Sky) Spyderco PITS is readily available from several outlets and I’d say for a folder the blade geometry is absolutely perfect for legal pocket carry.

Personally, looking at Spyderco prices recently I reckon £150 is peanuts for a Spyderco made at Golden, Colorado, a steal. Spyderco prices have skyrocketed recently. However, in terms of folders with a Scandi grind, I just don’t get it. But then I don’t really get the Scandi grind either. It’s the most difficult knife to sharpen well, I’d rather touch up a micro bevel or use the far stronger, more forgiving, and very versatile convex grinds.

I love the Byrd range of Taiwanese and Chinese manufacture, the production, QC, tolerancances etc must be recognised by many. But this is a Golden one off knife at £150. If it truly suits, snap it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o and Dan1982

chrisinhove

Aug 7, 2013
Sussex
You can put a microbevel on it, easily enough. It’s a nice knife but I didn’t find the handle very comfortable. There’s a Native 5 G10 on EM for £80 at the mo’ ...

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
For simple multiday treks I don't bother taking fixed knives anymore, I do prefer taking a sturdy folding knife. So this might fill in that gap.

Exactly this, I own a few fixed and a few folders but find I'm increasingly using folders a lot more these days so looking to invest in a quality bushcraft folder. I've only read good reviews in terms of quality on this, no product will ever be to everybody's liking but this does seem like a good option for my current needs.

Cheers for your thoughts

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Strangely I was thinking about my time with this cu knife just yesterday. Sold it a good while ago.

My main issue was that the handle was very comfortable...but only after I'd readjusted my grip multiple times. It was like there was a sweet spot rather than the generally comfortable handle of, say, a Military.

I recommend trying one given it's such a niche piece it's unlikely to be around for a long time.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Exactly this, I own a few fixed and a few folders but find I'm increasingly using folders a lot more these days so looking to invest in a quality bushcraft folder. I've only read good reviews in terms of quality on this, no product will ever be to everybody's liking but this does seem like a good option for my current needs.

Cheers for your thoughts

Admittedly I’m the same if I know I won’t be doing too much heavy work with wood.

I know I’ll not dissuade you, but a Paramilitary 2 or Manix might be worth considering. I tend towards the PM2.

This is way more than I’d ask of it. It does many jobs with its tapered blade, food prep to splinter removal.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
For what it's worth, I really like the Para 3, and would place it alongside a few others (admittedly, rather a few others) as a pocketable outdoorser.

The Spyderco that has my attention at the moment is the Lil Native. Unlikely to snap at it though. Someone mentioned that might appear as a slippie somewhere. No idea if that is fake news or not.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I still think the Para 1 is the ideal here, but have you looked at the Enzo Birk, if you is set on a scandi

Reactions: Ruud

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
For what it's worth, I really like the Para 3, and would place it alongside a few others (admittedly, rather a few others) as a pocketable outdoorser.

The Spyderco that has my attention at the moment is the Lil Native. Unlikely to snap at it though. Someone mentioned that might appear as a slippie somewhere. No idea if that is fake news or not.
Sal recently said that it was one of Eric's, and it's in a production queue somewhere! So that could be a while.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
The para 3 is the other option I'm considering. Owned the para 2 for a brief period in the past but just found it a bit too large for a folder.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Tip is fragile too, and I found I just didn't like leaning into it. Feels overall somehow frail.. to me like. Griptilians are good the 551 and the smaller version .. the pointy one and quite amazing with aftermarket scales like wilkins ... bit costy then though .. though maybe not so much in comparison to the cost of the Mears one.

Look at the Manly Comrade .. hilariously named in a Putin shirtless style .. but an very very very good knife ... also the lighter Boker Slack. Straightforwardly sublime that knife ... Im getting another next week :lol::) Sad but true

Reactions: Dan1982

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE