Spyderco bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
im looking into buying one of these knives new or second hand. What's your views on this knife? Everything about this knife is appealing to me, I originally wanted the fallkniven f1d, but the horrid handle is putting me off. Do you think the spyderco is a worthy buy?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
the spiderco isnt in the same league steel wise as the fallkniven and in my opinion is also way over priced!. you'll either love or hate the spiderco handle and its not really much bigger than the f1 just slightly wider at the belly.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I have both and prefer the spyderco. The steel on the spyderco is fine, the difference is not huge. I prefer my Mick Spain bushcraft knife over both asit has a thinner spine. I would recommend finding a local Uk maker and getting one from them, not much of a price difference, in fact may be cheaper.

Cheers
Alan

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I love my bushcrafter
it's capable knife and does everything i ask of it.
the other reason i love it is because it was given to me by a friend and makes me smile inwardly every time i use

Reactions: Feral grandad

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
the spiderco isnt in the same league steel wise as the fallkniven and in my opinion is also way over priced!. you'll either love or hate the spiderco handle and its not really much bigger than the f1 just slightly wider at the belly.

I've not heard of many people saying that the spyderco handle is uncomfy but I've heard plenty say that the F1 is. In fact, folk generally say that the spyderco is extremely comfy. I'm fortunate to own a custom from Chris that uses the same handle shape (was a predecessor to the spydie) and do occasionally consider selling it but the handle is just too good.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
I've not heard of many people saying that the spyderco handle is uncomfy but I've heard plenty say that the F1 is. In fact, folk generally say that the spyderco is extremely comfy. I'm fortunate to own a custom from Chris that uses the same handle shape (was a predecessor to the spydie) and do occasionally consider selling it but the handle is just too good.
i didnt say it was uncomfy though personally i hate it just that it is over priced and isnt much bigger than the f1. imho there are far better knives at all price ranges

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you do get one think seriously about having a decent grind nearer to what Chris originally designed.

It turns it into a knife that's a dream to use.

Before
24990305197_97f1c263cc_o.jpg

Just before final polish
39151095534_a6c35e4081_o.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It looks sweet and is even sweeter to use :) and yes, it's a re-handle as well in reindeer antler to the same shape etc to the original handle.

The whole package turns it into perfect knife for me.

A perfectly expensive knife. I've never had a Spydie fixed blade apart from a serrated kitchen knife that Sal gave me, but I'd not pay over £200 for a knife that needed reprofiling to that extent.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A perfectly expensive knife. I've never had a Spydie fixed blade apart from a serrated kitchen knife that Sal gave me, but I'd not pay over £200 for a knife that needed reprofiling to that extent.

It certainly doesn't owe me that much and if you don't want to get it then Spyderco do a version with a full flat grind again designed by Chris Claycomb

view@2x.png

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oh, I like the Claycomb version, but I'd approach the man direct, just as I would Stu Ackerman for a Serrata.

Mar 11, 2011
Germany
I own the wooden handled version (mine didn't crack). It's a very (!) beautiful knife. For finer work, I always prefer a slightly smaller knife, though. With thinner handles, that won't get in the way of my eyes when I'm looking at where exactly the edge is cutting. E. g. the Enzo Trapper. It just gives me a lot more control over what I'm doing. If you have to use your knife for hours on end (I usually don't have to), the handles of the Spyderco are just perfect, though. They are super-comfortable. However I don't care for the sheath much, it takes too much space imo. So that's a thing to consider as well, if you don't want to invest in another sheath as well.

Mar 11, 2011
Germany
Oh, regarding the F1 that you seem to also consider. I sold that. It's too thick for its size and doesn't perform very well in anything. Just my opinion. I love the A1, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE