Spring :D :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's definitely on the way. I know we were up to our knees in snow this time last week, and I know that we've had so much mud we're all thoroughly fed up of it, but it's been a beautiful day today....and my snowdrops are up and the first crocus' are showing colour in their buds, and the bluebells are four inches high in just the past couple of days.
So very pleased, it feels such a mind lightening thing that the light really is coming back, and that the world is slowly growing green again.

M

Reactions: Nomad64

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
ahh the weekend is meant to be pish again, sunday will be better than saturday.... Think of it as a test of your emotional resilience ;)

Cheers
Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your negativity isn't going to deflate my joy in the anticipation of the changing seasons :D

Did you get stuck indoors today ?

M

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I was wandering in Norfolk a week or so ago and already the Spring seems to have taken hold with many Snowdrops in bloom.

Here in the South I can only recall one day when snow fell for about 2 hours and was completely gone in 3...With a just a couple of days frost where I live literally on the shoreline, the winter seems to have been kind, although the winter storms were spectacular as always.

In a few days at Imbolc I'll be camped in the wood and I'll be surprised if the Ramsons are not all ready to flower early with the mild weather.

Reactions: Toddy

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It did feel very spring-like today. I snuck off work for a bit to walk around the local ponds. Hazel catkins were releasing pollen, birds were singing and prospecting nest sites, I even saw some daisies in full bloom. The police helicopter was also doing it's display flight and seemed to attract a mate at one point but that's life in a deprived borough for you.

I've secretly got my fingers crossed for some cold weather this weekend so my garden is extra full of hungry birds for the Big Garden Birdwatch. We've been getting big flocks of finches for weeks now and it'll be just typical that they all disappear now.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
:D pretty much stuck indoors every weekday unless I can escape out on my bike at lunchtimes. Just waiting for the spring high pressures to come in so we can get some canoeing done! Meanwhile dyed the leather on my saddle and fixed a popper Little Chainsaw's leather valet tray.

I don't mind the seasons, they are what they are and I like that they make you change what you do, has a nice rhythm to it

Cheers
Alan

Your negativity isn't going to deflate my joy in the anticipation of the changing seasons :D

Did you get stuck indoors today ?

M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Was out looking for some elder today and the buds are bursting into leaf. Fresh oyster and jelly ear mushroom about as well as greens just popping through the leaf littler.

We will no doubt get slapped with more winter weather but the sings are there and I'll take em!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Down here in the south east the snowdrops have been out for a couple of weeks already and today I saw some daffodils in flower.
The woodpeckers clearly think it's Spring because they are frequently heard smacking their heads against a tree in anticipation of a quick leg over.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It must be spring. All the birds have disappeared from my garden just in time for the Garden Bird watch. Feed the buggers all year and they can't be bothered to turn up when I need them :rolleyes: I ended up with about 50 birds of 13 species and 25 of them was a flock of starlings that rarely visit. It wasn't so long ago that I counted 70 sparrows and 17 blackbirds, and we always get a flock of nearly 20 gold finches. I guess they're all up the woods singing songs about how proficient they are in the bedroom department.

Reactions: Philster

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I haven't really noticed much change in the garden as I'm still going to and coming home from work in the dark:( I just hope it doesn't get warm enough to get everything growing for a couple of weeks or a month or so, then for a cold snap to come along [like the last couple of years for me] with snow and freezing temps for a week or more and kill all the budding flowers on the fruit trees.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I saw my first Daffodils the other week and they cheered me up no end. We've been lucky, South wales was relatively mild this winter.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I haven't really noticed much change in the garden as I'm still going to and coming home from work in the dark:( I just hope it doesn't get warm enough to get everything growing for a couple of weeks or a month or so, then for a cold snap to come along [like the last couple of years for me] with snow and freezing temps for a week or more and kill all the budding flowers on the fruit trees.

Katy has been a great apple variety for my garden. The blossom always seems to avoid the cold snaps and lasts a long time. It even crops well for this altitude and the fruit dries really well. and it's canker resistant which works well on this damp clay soil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE