SOT kayak for a 6 foot 18 stone bloke?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I'm toying with the idea of getting back into kayaking but haven't paddled in over 20+ years when I used to have a Perception Dancer. Unfortunately since then had motorbike accident few years back leaving me with a weakened shoulder that occasionally dislocates. I was thinking of getting a Sit On Top kayak since not sure I could do a roll anymore and would be easier to escape from if I capsize but being a big chap the max weight if a factor since at close to 18 stone it is near the max weight limit. I liked the idea of the Perception Freedom but wandered what else is out there?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
My 15 foot Ocean Prowler is a great SOT. Feels a bit like an ocean liner when you paddle it off shore for the first time but it is a nice paddler with a decent turn of speed and tracks and turns well. But it is about 70lbs so maybe the 13 foot would be easier for you. I tend not to lift mine onto the roof rack now but just wheel it down a footpath, ten minutes to the sea. I do have an extending arm on the roof rack so I can lift the nose onto the car then the rest rather than the straight lift I used to do. I am a bit shorter and lighter, but only a bit, and it has no problem with bouyancy. It will even sail with a Windpaddle sail if you fancy it and is a good fishing platform.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'm about your dimensions, and I have a Feel Free Gemini. Yes it is a tandem , but I do manage it ok, and I'm no authority on these things but it paddles and stays straight. It is heavy, but I have it close to my put in and use a trolley.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
If you intend to cover longer distances or venture further offshore, then have a look at the beginners end of the surfski market. Epic have boats from 14ft on up to the elite skis at 21.5ft. The shorter boats are quite new to the market and are proving very popular, much quicker than a standard SOT and much more sea worthy, more expensive as well unfortunately, but for more committed paddling they're really in a different league .

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Depends how you define seaworthy as to whether the Epics are better. Ever been tested? For extreme conditions you surely want a sit in sea kayak? Faster probably but given the limits on speed of any displacement boat how important is that especially over the long haul.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Seaworthy, the ability to cope with the given conditions, more seaworthy, able to cope with a broader range of conditions. For extreme conditions I'll take the ski, no contest, as for speed, the entry level ski's I was suggesting are about 40 to 50% quicker at cruising speed than most sea kayaks let alone SOT's, they have a much more efficient hull design and will take less energy to paddle. The longer skis, 19ft, 20ft and 21ft are not relevant here, they are the domain of experienced paddlers only, either that or people with really really, good balance. I take it, Boatman, that with Cornwall as your location you have more experience than most with surfskis, they're not as common outside the south, although that is changing, with racing up here getting more popular and the ski being the tool of choice. I don't know how up to date you are on the current ski's but the new plastic boats are fantastic, ideal for beginners or as a rough weather playboat, river runner or surf toy for the more experienced. I would never dream of recommending a closed cockpit boat to anyone now, the ski is much safer, with no requirement to master the roll, self rescue is a far easier process. There may be a case for the sea kayak being more seaworthy in very extreme conditions, but that is outside the ability range of most mere mortals and certainly long past the point the SOT paddler became a swimmer.
For the purposes of the original post an entry level ski makes a good alternative to a SOT, a sea kayak does the job as well but needs more kit and training to be used safely.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for all the advice folks. To be honest if I get one it's likely just for fun and inland flat water or estuary with the occasional close to beach paddle Not looking to spend a fortune since not sure how much use it will get. What is the little Feelfree Roamer 1 SOT like since they seem the cheapest but is it a case of you get what you pay for with SOT kayaks?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Nice boats, this type is a favourite for holidaymakers. 150kg max weight of crew and kit so should be OK for fun paddling as you describe.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Im similar size to you and have an Ocean Kayak Sidekick which suits me fine, my other half has and Ocen Kayak Frenzy which is smaller but is also OK for me although I get terrible pain in my hip joints in the Frenzy, it must be the height relationship between feet and butt....so try before you buy....
Seaworthy? We threaded the Needles on the Isle of Wight on them with no issues, we were careful about tides and weather though

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I got a tandem sit on top from Cambridge kayaks.
Came with fishing rod holders, 2 seats, 2 paddles and 2 life jackets.
I am 6ft 4 and 17 stone and so is my mate and we can get in it and paddle up and down the river Severn quite happily.
You can also just use it as a single seater and put the padded seat in the middle. It is really buoyant, easy to paddle and steer.
The full package was delivered for just over £400 and it weighs about 35kg but is fairly easy to handle on and off the car roof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE