Sony camera video help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I just picked up a Sony HX80 in the sales to use as a more portable video camera for Facebook and YouTube clips and am really struggling with it.

I have been using a Canon Handycam for the last few years and it’s standard point and shoot mode has been fine in almost all conditions but I wanted something more portable.
Reviews seemed good and sample footage on YouTube was very clear and crisp but I am finding indoors and anything other than very bright light very grainy, much more than my Canon.

I’m not familiar with Sony and am trying out all the various settings but nothing seems to help, I’m mostly using program auto as I’m no camera expert.

Does anyone here use a Sony compact camera for video and have any tips or inside knowledge on getting better quality footage?

I am shooting in the highest quality available XAVC S and have tried AVCHD (some of the settings don’t seem compatible with my Mac) and MP4 but nothing seems to improve the indoor/lower light quality.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all, rather than leave this sitting here I thought I would add a quick update in case anyone has a similar issue (I know there’s a few YouTubers here).

I managed to speak to someone who knows cameras and apparently I’m asking more than it can deliver.

The answer - an alternate light source indoors to help boost available light and by virtue the clarity.

I tested this out with an LED camping light and hey presto 100% improvement so I will be investing in a portable battery powered light that will fit to my camera/tripod.

On that note here’s a picture of my confused looking cat to brighten your day!

02d54cbd9d84e989fe836271c829b20a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
With some good light you can’t complain at the quality mate, the cat is cracking ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE