Somewhat awash with Chicken of the Woods. Recipes please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself is foraging to great effect these days, but we're rather awash with Chicken of the Woods. Even sharing it around and sending some to a cousin down south we still have a bit of a glut.

Anyone got recipes that will freeze ? or can/kilner jar ?

cheers,
M

Reactions: Sundowner

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Simmer for msybe 30 seconds, cool under running cold water ( even better - in water with ice) then place in washed paper cartons tightly, add a but water, freeze.
Does not get nasty dry areas this way.

Have you tied sweet and sour pickled mushroomd?

Try a jar from a Polish manufacturer first.

Reactions: Toddy and Billy-o

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It dries well.

Cut into pieces of your liking and dry with the method of your liking.

Frozen mushrooms are virtually the same taste as fresh. Dried have a different taste, the Umami is more pronounced. Concentrated, even after rehydrating.

Pickled are delicious eaten with pies and such.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just remembered; the Italians do some kind of sweet & sour marinade, then place them in an olive oil / ? oil mix.
Also nice, but more ‘rich and fatty’ than the Central European version.

Both versions last well in a jar, if sterilized properly.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Himself is foraging to great effect these days, but we're rather awash with Chicken of the Woods. Even sharing it around and sending some to a cousin down south we still have a bit of a glut.

Anyone got recipes that will freeze ? or can/kilner jar ?

cheers,
M
I've dehydrated loads of cepes this year. Now I'm wondering if I should put them in jars of oil? Olive oil? And thanks for reminding me Toddy, need to check my COWs that I cut back earlier in the year

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Congratulations! You finally have enough to do a whole bunch of experiments.
Drying, pickling, salting, smoking. Do they change much if you steam-cooked a bunch first?

Every Asian market has a bin or three of dried mushrooms in the back. Don't pack in oil ( does anybody do that?)
I'd string them on cotton cords, paleo-style, and dry loads of them for experimental dinners.
Usually the dried mushrooms get soaked in water, maybe some rice wine in there, too.
Then into the food.

Barter your dried crop for other foods. I did not get the chance to dry enough cheap Roma tomatoes
this year to do that. Over ripe doesn't matter. Those are worth packing in herbed (not plain) olive oil.
I use Iliada Kalamata Greek olive oil in 3 liter tins.

One ounce of fresh mint leaves can cost me $2.50. Last week, I got an entire bin-bag, stuffed full, for nil!
I cook a lot of Greek and need mint. I have never had enough to play with. Now I do!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Toddy. Somehow along the way, I missed out on growing plain mint.
The piece of steel culvert as a growth ring is still out back in the garden somewhere.
Just never got it done.
Now, it's my duty to help my friends control their patch!

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
I've seen loads of mushrooms when I've been out and about this year. Still haven't found any chicken of the woods yet though. Hoping to finally get Geoff Dann's book so I can hone my mushroom identifying skills. It's my birthday soon, so fingers crossed...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE