Shiehallion hike and loch Rannoch wild camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
On what can only be called a freakishly gorgeous November morning the good lady and I decided to climb the 1089m Schiehallion at loch Rannoch. the hill is really accesible but hard work none the less. An hour in and its safe to say that I'm a wheezy sweaty mess so a quick brew and I'm good to go again. The climb gets a lot trickier at the top but that makes the view even more breathtaking, not that I had much left to take.

It then dawned on me that november would be my 12th month for the 12 nights a year so with a skip in my step I headed to the loch to finish the year in style. I took the time to field test a number of stoves I had been working on and try out my new lk35 swedish army rucksack which I have to say really impressed me.

vid below looks long so first 7 1/2 mins is the hike last 10 mins in random snaps and the wild camp is the bit in-between [video=youtube;Hx7lRCE3mX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx7lRCE3mX8[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You got really lucky with the weather :D It looks like a cracking day's walk too.
Thanks for the film, it was a good watch :cool:

If you're up again, do a detour and head to the Trossachs and climb Ben A'an. It's a tiddler really, but the panoramic views are well worth the jaunt.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was never an excuse to be someplace just for a walk here, it was a reason. Most overnight camping was fine anyway, just if you can find a landowner to ask it was always courteous to do so....and on the hills you have to be aware of the shooting seasons too.

How did you do with ticks and the like ? In all the years we walked and camped we have never seen so many ticks as in these past few years. I think it's because the sheep aren't dipped anymore in the really toxic stuff, so more of the biting blighters are surviving.

Ben A'an's a lovely wee hill, and there are longer higher walking ones right nearby if you're up for it, but for views it's hard to beat.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No sheep dip and too many deer :sigh:
I'm told that quail's the answer. Lots and lots and lots of quail. They eat the ticks in huge numbers apparently :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE