Sheath for my Terävä Jääkäripuukko!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
A bit rough compared to most but I just needed a functional sheath for this lump of a knife.
Minimal tools, some knowledge from falconry equipment manufacture.
Enjoyable process.
4mm veg tanned leather.
Just need some protective coating without losing the stiffness, any ideas please?

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

Reactions: NoName

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Looking good :). You need to decide on any dye and edge finishes, and apply any dyes before the overall finish for the leather. Most finishes will colour the leather to some extent, even the 'clear' ones. Finally, any burnishing will tend to stop any dye or finish being absorbed, so probably best to do that last of all.

The final finish will also depend on what kind of exposure you expect the sheath to get, what you have available or how much you want to spend. You could go for boot polish or dubbin for example if you have them, all the way through to wax dipping or similar. I have found that dyeing itself (and/or burnishing) promotes more stiffness in the leather.

Reactions: ScottE

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Love it! I like it like that. Wetformed the way to go
Just some pinetar n beeswax on it et voila!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice work. Those pegs can damage the leather so best stick some scraps under them next time. Much easier to avoid marks than remove them.

Again though nice job :)

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks.
I have hot beeswaxed it since which has stiffened it up considerably on top of what the wet moulding did, also made a fixed belt loop, it's in regular use and I love it, hopefully becomes a long trusted friend.
IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE