Seeking advice for winter camping/hiking trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonhart1990

Oct 8, 2017
Essex
Good morning,

I'm about to set off yet again for another camping trip to Denmark, last year I learnt my lesson with buying the wrong trousers for the winter and I don't plan on making that mistake again!
I wanted some advice on the best trousers to buy for harsh temperatures, something that I can wear the entire time that'll be good for hiking, sleeping in and most importantly ones that can take abuse from bushcrafting work and what not.

Thanks in advanced guys.

- Mark

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Leonhart1990,

That is big ask from a single pair of trousers.

I've exercised in Denmark (back in the 1980's mind) and experienced hot weather, wet weather as well as low temps.

My solution would be versatility -

a base layer long-john e.g - something like Sub zero or Helikon;
a working layer - mil surplus e.g. Austrian ripstop cambat trouser or FJ Barents;
a waterproof shell layer - e.g. again Austrian mil surplus GTX over trouser - but KA03 issue - not KA02/1997 issue. The KA03 over trousers are quite robust compared to civilian versions, I have used them for years well beyond what you might do in bush-crafting and they've stood up to it well.

If I was absolutely forced to use only one garment I would probably choose a pair of Arktis, GTX lined ripstop combat trousers - but there would be compromises.:(

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i guess it depends on what weather you'll be expecting. Harsh. as in sub zero, or as in torrential rain and wind. or a combination of all 3? For sub zero, you can't go wrong with wool. for wet and windy, something fast drying, coupled with a decent shell and for a mix, add a decent set of thermals.
i have a pair of hydratic lined fjallravens, which do me for most conditions, especially when combined with set of light,warm or hot wool aclima pants (depending on the temps).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Plan for "winter." Rain, wet snow, dry snow like sugar? Wind with any of that?
I'd wear one for the day but pack another for the worst case scenario.
How far do you intend to walk? Forest or exposed?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Layers. Boxers and trousers for warmer, dry weather.
Long johns and trousers for cold weather.
Add water tight outer trousers for when it rains.

Denmark does not get really cold, you might expect maybe -5 Celsius? -10 C is very unusual.

The trousers should be roomy. Tight trousers do not give you the insulationg layer of air.
Material?
Trousers - I like moleskin.
Longjohns: thick cotton, or wool if you can find it.
Boxers - cotton

Sleeping bag, rated for around -15C. Sleep in long johns.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look around. For decades, I have worn flannel-lined blue denim jeans.
Obviously, they are not space age, zero weight.
But.
At -20C and windy, they are really nice to wear outdoors. Just about windproof and soft, baggy.
The huge, multi department chain of Sears stores is closing out and dying. No more flannel jeans.

Not a problem but I'll pay more, don't care. I'll buy nothing but Carhartt winter wear. Best on the planet for working at -40C.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Denmark has a very mild climate, and I am not sure lined jeans are suitable for walking in. Better to layer, easier to adjust the clothes for cold stationary or warmer moving around.

I wore lined jeans living in the various places in the northern 2/3 of Sweden, but never in the southern 1/3. Malmoe has a similar climate as Denmark. Windy, lightly cold, humid. Not much snow, max 30 cm.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
For winter Ive got:
Three woollen surplus pairs. Belgian, swedish, and german.
Bison Bushcraft moleskin and ventile.
Keela munro salopettes.
North face mountain bib.
Fjallraven barents pro.
Cheap sturdy regatta waterproof overtrousers.
Lightweight overtrousers.
And a massive swedish arctic bib, from the sixties used by army motorcyclists with a detachable liner. [Would be great for dog sledding]
Also had some buffalo pertex and pile trousers.
Laksen buffalo lined waterproof trews.
Devold, wool longjohns and two pairs of woolpower longjohns
Some dutch army half and half leggings.
Some canadian polypropylene ones
Swedish army cotton overtrousers.
Some white cotton swedish long johns
DPM mvp overtrews
neoprene sea waders.
patagonia waders
thigh waders
Boxers, synthetic wicking, merino.
And some others as well....fleece lined craghoppers etc etc etc
Endless list to choose from.

Which is slightly ridiculous. But I know there will be people on here with even more winter/wet/cold trouser kit. A LOT MORE. :lmao:

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've seen and know mates who have just massive amounts more kit than i do. Single blokes, in their 40's, and 50's who tend to acquire literally houses full of equipment.

[40 grand of knives for instance! nuts IMO, but each to their own.] Gun racks, and cabinets all over, but they dont shoot much. They just tend to spend their extra cash on this stuff. And never flog it on!

I mean ive got a lot of kit imo, but some guys are just addicted.

Im guilty of it myself in the past, because 'the more you know the less you carry' or 'success is not measured by what you have, but by what you can do without'

Are the tenants of our pastime really.

I still window shop a lot, but when i think of an enviroment, i think well, ive already got that those and them, so i really do not need anything else. Ive got numerous cupboards and half a garage full of kit. You actually forget what youve got. But thats after 20 years of doing this.

Its taken me too long to get to that perspective. And ive had a lot of fun doing it, but once i had loads to spend now i dont. And im satisfied, maybe for the first time with what ive got.

Ive got kit for every enviroment on the earth now. A lot of which will get little use. I think its some deeply ingrained pyscological instinct, which is aligned with self reliance.

And ive met quite a few on here with the same mindset mate...!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have to confess, I am the same. Have enough knives to scare any police check.... most unused.

I collect watches and Vintage Swedish Art glass too.....
Will be inherited by my son.

I hope you understand I pulled your leg?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
yep. Your english is perfectly understandable Janne. To me anyway.

However, your level of practical jokes, and leg pulling, is not on a par with serious mickey taking, as per english standards. ;)

Make me belly laugh and i shall bow to you.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am useless on serious leg pulling!
(and afraid of gross misunderstanding leading to the target person getting very offended )

You Brits are World Famous for your humor. And the Irish too. RIP Dave Allen!

if I my go back to the subject, which part of Denmark are you travelling to?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh yes, Dave Allen, very very funny guy.
We'd have you in stitches in short time.....:D

BTW are you actually living the caymans, or in scandinavia?

(and afraid of gross misunderstanding leading to the target person getting very offended ) Yeh, i can understand that.It would be rude not to show some leniancy when speaking to another person, who is not of our native tongue, and yet is still making the effort. Plain manners mate!

Yes, I agree, where in denmark are you going, it looks like a fantastic place, somewhere i must visit, hans christian anderson avenue. Meet some artists....especially copenhagen. Would like to meet Peter Hoeg

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands since 11 years. No bushcrafting or nature experiences here, unless you dive, snorkel or considering watching birds on the beach... :)
I do not dive.
Lived in UK for over 10 years. East Sussex, lovely area!
But I am originally from Sweden. I go a couple of times a year to northern Norway, for the cold air, fishing and nature.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not intrusive,
No, working. Friends and climate. Was getting serious arthritic problems from (old damage) knee and lower back, plus work related arthritis in right shoulder and neck.

Much, much better now, can work at least till I am 70!

My move from Sweden to UK was tax related though. Owning a business where all the money is registered in no fun in Sweden.

But being born in Central Europe from parents of mixed European heritage helps moving to a different country. No deep roots anywhere!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE