Seaweed preservation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Doing some work at Newquay museum and its great fun.

We are making project boxes for the kids.

I have supplied a nice collection of seashells, and boss is buying some guidebooks for ID

We are planning other projects

One he wants is seaweed, and seaweed ID...But how would you preserve it?

Dried it looks wrong and fragments.

The Victorians used to press seaweed in blotting paper. But that would be no good for 3D stuff like bladderwrack

And to dry it would take time!

Any suggestions?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think you're right; seaweed just doesn't look right if it's dry. I think it will have to be in a tray of salt water so, with kids around, that means it will need covering with a transparent lid or there'll be a mess :)

Or did you mean each would have their own samples? that would be more difficult unless it was just two or three varieties in an acrylic bottle of some kind.

Or maybe it would keep well enough wet in sealed food bags.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can preserve moss and leaves, and keep them flexible and lifelike, using glycerine in water.
I do not know if it will work with seaweed though. I suspect the salt barrier thing might screw it up. Then again, there's no shortage of seaweed to try.

Actually, thinking on it a little longer, what about the stuff that woodturners use to quickly season timber ? PEG, polyethylene glycol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Figure out how they dry Nori for sushi. I've bought packets of small Nori sheets to eat as a salty snack. It's OK.
How is dulse dried? I recall the packages look like transparent clam-shell food packages

If the 3D shape is a diagnostic feature,
a) dry the plant with 10% glycerine added to a soaking batch of water overnight.
This retains some water content to address the issues of brittleness and shrinkage. Then, specimens are to be stored in boxes.
b) the option is a Riker Mount, a glass-fronted box filled with soft cotton fiber.
Not cheap and rarely sourced anymore.
c) there are specific botanical liquid preservatives for large shapes and stored in glass jars. (woods, cones, flowers, etc)

Off our west coast is the island archipelago of Haida Gwaii ( Old honky white name of Queen Charlotte Islands is extinct).
The Haida people harvest, trade and use many named marine plants, particularly dried kelp covered in herring spawn.
My modern Haida plant book offers no quotes from the elders about any special drying processes.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This looks like a tall order.

Shame, as it was a good idea of his.

As a lifelong wannabee beachcomber I would have relished the chance to go find some...and eat it too

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE