Sad day :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am very sorry to say that my Springer Spaniel has been diagnosed with SARDS (Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome) - she went totally blind overnight on Saturday. I had an emergency appointment with our vet last night then another with an Eye Veterinary Clinic in Leominster this morning.

I'd never heard of it before; the cause is unknown and there is no cure. So, now my poor dog is having to learn to get around by smell alone; she's doing remarkably well but occasionally bumps into stuff :(

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Sad news, it's no compensation when I say this but dogs are remarkably really resilient aminals and she will adapt I am sure.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Awful for her that it’s so sudden. Traumatic for the pair of you I expect.

As said, she’ll adapt, her nose and ears will become her eyes. My oldest has such bad cataracts now her eyes are just grey. Not so sudden, but both her and our family have adjusted to it, helping her out of corners and into bed, back of car, out of car, etc. We lead walk her only now, and let her off for a bit in open spaces. She has a couple of falconry bells on her collar so we have an idea where she is if she disappears. She’s stone deaf too poor love so we can’t call her back, but the bells are very helpful locators for us.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thanks for all your thoughts.

She's already adapting unbelievably well and finding her way around the house quite easily. We'll have to make sure we don't put things in odd places!

The bell idea is worth thinking about but maybe it's me that should be wearing them so she can find me :)

Reactions: CLEM and Nomad64

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Glad to read she is adapting well. I have seen my spaniel run into a tree head first and just carry on as if nothing happened. Tough and loyal dogs.
You can get GPS trackers for dogs that go a wandering. Worth considering.
Regards,
Preper.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sorry to hear this and glad to hear she's adapting, I'm always amazed at our canine friends. All the best to all of you.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
She’ll find happy places you’d never have dreamed of. :)

“Hot, time for a lie down on my sheet and pillow.”

99642783-_E86_E-4970-8642-5_FBC3_D00_A59_E.jpg

Or, “you’ll obviously be a while, here if you need me”.

D27_E6_F08-6_A5_C-4_D76-_A5_D9-7_C4_F2_B1_F7_DBE.jpg

Mine is a gentle old lady now and needs a fair bit of help, it’s a matter of making adjustments for her. If she leaps out of the car, she kind of knows how far down it is. If I’m parked uphill, or it’s a different car then I lift her.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Broch ? I'm sorry to hear of this. I never knew that this could happen to a dog. Heck of an adjustment to make for you both really.
Dogs are resilient though, and their other senses are heightened compared to ours. I doubt it'll make up for her lack of vision, but surely it'll help with the day to day living.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only thing I would like to add is that if you see the dog is in huge distress please end its suffering.
It should not be necessary, not until the dog is very old, but you never know.

On our first dog, Mimmi, we waited a couple of days to long. I regret that hugely.
Our second dog, Perikles, only a few hours between visible distress and Dog Valhalla.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Take heart as old dogs can learn new tricks. Oscar had similar problems developing cataracts shortly after being diagnosed with diabetes. It did not take him long to figure out why we kept saying Go Left, Go Right, Step Up/Down.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Broch: I am so sorry for you all. Must be a stunning turn of affairs for the dog!
Time for everybody to have a hug and a treat of some favorite kind.
Might I ask if this condition is at all age-related?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE