Rucksack hanging tips for tarp and hammock set up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 7, 2018
Sweden
First post in forum, new member. Anyone have any decent tips or tricks for hanging rucksack/suspending whilst using the aforementioned set up? Usually just sit it under the hammock itself but have hade few issues with rain running under and also finding loads of beetles on my pack in the morning.

Reactions: zornt

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Welcome to the forum :)

Hook it onto some cord around a tree, with a rain cover over if weather dodgy, or lash up a tripod and hang it on that under your tarp, as on the left here

Reactions: Woody girl
Sep 7, 2018
Sweden
Welcome to the forum :)

Hook it onto some cord around a tree, with a rain cover over if weather dodgy, or lash up a tripod and hang it on that under your tarp, as on the left here

The tripod looks a solid solution! I have hung it from a branch before with rain cover and it has worked pretty well but i want to keep everything contained within the tarp. Cheers Paulm!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Make a "bathtub" from your ground sheet and in lay it there. By folding up and fixing the corners the ground sheet will stop ground water / rain run off from touching your pack

Reactions: Ruud and Alba Svea

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Your problem is the 3m long tarp. This is too short for decent coverage in a hammock.

I have a slightly longer tarp, about 3.5m and use a small "gear" carabiner to hang my pack from the suspension line, direct from the top carry handle of the pack.

Another option, and one that I used in the jungle, is to have a gear hammock suspended beneath, or beside, the main hammock, pack goes in that. In the jungle the gear hammock should have its own zip to really exclude creepy crawlies from taking residence in the pack. Note that in this shot the pack is just hung on a tree while I got camp set up. It was shifted to the gear hammock after the photo. My friend already has his pack stowed.
DSC07004 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

This is the gear hammock by itself. Very simple. Can be used as a place to sit or rest when not set up in camp.
DSC01885 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Ahah, found pictures of both in use at once!
DSC07382 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

DSC07384 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Sep 7, 2018
Sweden
Thanks C, looks like a bit of extra kit though and i'm trying to keep my pack size down. The larger tarp is something that i have thought of though, might be an option when it comes time to change out my current one.

Michael White

Oct 15, 2018
Consett, Co Durham
Thanks C, looks like a bit of extra kit though and i'm trying to keep my pack size down. The larger tarp is something that i have thought of though, might be an option when it comes time to change out my current one.
That gear store, which I have, scrunches down to the size of a cricket ball, and weighs next to nothing. I take it with me on my day hikes, find two posts and you have somewhere for a comfy break

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Like the last pic with the aysm tarp setup. Leave a nice view from the hammock :) Sorry thread hijack.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Welcome ftom across the pond.
Check out Reallybigmonkey1 on u tube. He used bungee cords tp hang his packs. That and a rain cover dhould do the job.
Jon

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Tripod is probably your best bet, just make something out of some sticks that you find laying around. Hanging it off the tree is also good, all you need for that is a bit of paracord and a toggle (posh word for small stick!) to use with a marlin spike hitch.

The EDC hammock from ukhammocks that's referred to above is a fantastic bit of kit though and well worth some investment. I've had mine for a few years now and it always comes with me on my woodland camping trips. Admittedly I prefer to use mine as a chair than a gear loft!

More often than not though, I usually just lay my rucksack on a small groundsheet underneath my hammock. I just make sure that my kit is squared away inside and tend not to worry about bugs. It's what I'd also do if I was bivvying.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
From the climbing days of my youth, I have quite a selection of slings. Usually, I take one of the longer ones, loop it through itself around the trunk of the tree suspending my hammock and tarp and then clip the rucksack haul loop into a snap carabiner. It's simple, works and doesn't involve felling more saplings or doing anything unnecessarily labour intensive!. In general, the pack and its contents does not get wet, even in pretty inclement weather; by the same token, I've never had an invasion of bugs either.

It's another idea with which to play!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE