Ridgeline Pintail Smock- Any Good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
Quite like the idea of grabbing a Ridgeline Pintail Smock but before I do I was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

I have always preferred slip on jackets/smocks so I am very tempted.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve got one, works well. I don’t think I’d trust it in serious, long, downpours, and the surface does wet out so it’s prone to the same windchill as ventile. But it’s very light, packable, and keeps out most weather.

Don’t get it too close to your lantern while cooking in the dark ;) Mine sports a leather patch on the arm, and another hole from the next time I went out that I haven’t bothered to repair.

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
i don't know specifically about the Pintail, but Ridgeline stuff has a well deserved reputation within the shooting fraternity as being about as breathable as a black plastic sack.

fine - indeed very good for - sitting in a high seat for 8 hours in utterly foul, freezing cold conditions, but put a daysack on and walk for 10 minutes even in 2 or 3c and you'll be dripping with sweat.

my own experience with the Monsoon jacket was so awful that it went back with a solicitors letter after being worn once.

Reactions: Birch Axe

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
i don't know specifically about the Pintail, but Ridgeline stuff has a well deserved reputation within the shooting fraternity as being about as breathable as a black plastic sack.

fine - indeed very good for - sitting in a high seat for 8 hours in utterly foul, freezing cold conditions, but put a daysack on and walk for 10 minutes even in 2 or 3c and you'll be dripping with sweat.

my own experience with the Monsoon jacket was so awful that it went back with a solicitors letter after being worn once.

To give them their due, the breathability of the Monsoon Elite 2 was improved, they did take the feedback on board. I think the Bushrafter smock was improved even further, but is getting hard to find. I did a fair bit of Dales walking in my Elite 2 and didn’t have a problem. All in all though, it was a bit overkill for me, and that’s why I sold it and got the Pintail. I’m happy to carry the Pintail in a daypack, not something I’d have considered with the Monsoon Elite.

However, the Monsoon is made of much thicker material, the Pintail is very light and thin, like a posh cagoule. It can get clammy, but nothing that loosening the neck and hem doesn’t sort.

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
Cheers guys, it does seem from looking around at reviews people either love them or hate them. The issue of breathabilty and being too warm does come up quite often but then again I find that most over head smocks have that problem.

There is a stockist not far from me so might have a look at one this weekend.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have the pintail smock, bought a few years ago, it's okay but as Rich says the outer fabric becomes saturated very quickly, doesn't let the water through the inner membrane of course, but the outer becomes wet and heavy and cold and soaks anything else you come into contact with like a seat for example. I keep it in the jeep now just as emergency backup.

Recently got the monsoon elite 2 to be my main wet weather choice and the latest version is very light and packable, and the outer will repel the weather as the fabric is different to the earlier pintail and other versions. Haven't used it in anger yet but expecting it to be pretty good, breathability having supposed to have been greatly improved also.

Be wary of folks talking about earlier versions as they have upgraded the various models over the years to address some early issues. With that in mind the current pintail smock might be different to the one I have, I don't think so, but not certain.

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
Well went to the store today and left £105 lighter. Seems to be very well made and will suit my needs well I feel.

Now just have to wait for a downpour to check how waterproof it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE