Remeberance Weekend.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I found the grave of a soldier and planted a cross with a poppy on it.
Dies 28 years old Yorks/Lancs Regiment, 1944, bended a knee and thanked him for his sacrifice.
Bought a couple of poppies.

What did you do?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Both my dogs are decorated with the reflector plastic poppies on their collars. As the youngest, Mimi, gets annoyed by it, she spends hours tearing them into tiny pieces. We're on number 8 now, and I put £3 in the collection for each.

Reactions: Dave

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought of my family members who gave their lives in both world wars and thought of friends currently serving in Afghanistan and wished for their safe return.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I'm always mindful of the many generations of military men my family provided, for the last 3 generations they all got home, nothing to thank for that, fate was kind, and for the many that did not they inspire my sorrow and gratitude.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Booted, suited and beret-ed, another annual attendance at a local parade with my offspring (mil/ex mil).

Relatives and friends to remember from past conflicts.

Turned up at a different town in the locality this year to be unexpectedly approached by a female vet who asked us (told us! lol) to fall in with the real old soldiers from my fathers generation. (there were only about half a dozen of them at the head of a large parade). Who could have refused.

The pride that they marched with made my eyes water. What a privilege to have been amongst them.

What I did notice was that there were also a fair number of vets amongst the crowd lining the streets, many wearing their former mil head dress and medals, I'm sure that had there been the opportunity to have asked them they would have joined us too.

Next week I will be visiting the grave of a local lad who went to school with one of my lads and who was killed in Afghan, it's on a cross country route that I do frequently and I often spend a moment as I pass.

I recently added a section to one of my other routes and discovered an impromptu memorial (poppies and flowers) at a remote spot but last years writing on the poppy crosses had become unreadable. I will visit again and perhaps discover more info.

And I take my hat (beret) off to all those youngsters (and adult leaders) in the brownies/cubs/scouts/guides/beavers/boys brigade/cadets and others who had kitted up and turned out, and especially to those who had played in bands and bugled the last post/reveille.
It was a bit nippy and they made a great effort.

If that last paragraph applies to any of you reading - good on yer. well done. And thanks.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Walked to my village church for the annual remembrance service with swmbo. Have only missed a couple while I lived in Dorset since I started Cubs at 8. I don't know of anyone in my family that died in the wars but I feel closer each year to those listed in the role of remembrance for my Parish.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a beaver. cub and scout, so went up to the top of the hill, to the monument to the service held there. Pretty much all the scouts turned up, a couple of cubs and one beaver. The weather was pretty foul so I can understand the beavers maybe but more cubs should have turned up, good turn out from the scouts, but then they are older and can cope with standing in cold rain for an hour or so...

followed the flag bearers down to the church for the service.

I'm not particularly religious, so one of the handful of occasions I attend church, but one of the more important ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE