Reindeer hides?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks.

Im looking for 2 or 3 pretty large Reindeer hides suitable to be used for sleeping on in my Tundra 4 and ? in my hammock too (well, 1 for the hammock, 3 would be overkill. Warm, but overkill nonetheless)

Can anyone recommend a particular seller or suggest what I should be looking out for when buying such luxurious items! :)

Many thanks

KP

May 14, 2008
uk
Hi KP

I bought my reindeer hide easter time and it snowed which wasn't a problem as i was toasty warm lying on my reindeer hide. I bought mine from http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page17/page17.html I recall the overall cost being £85 this is a silicone backed hide.

It was a decent size and have used it a couple of time once in my hammock and the other time in my tipi style tent.

Hope this helps

cheer

Adam

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Your could also try Nordic Outdoor. The siliconed hide is listed as £89 no idea about delivery though

I believe these may be the ones listed in the Tentipi catalogue as they also sell the Fireboxes and other accessories from there.

Richard

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Thanks guys. They look good.

Have discovered this lot though:

http://www.bearclawtraders.co.uk/reindeerskins.htm

They are a good bit cheaper, although currently out of stock. I am waiting for them to reply to my ? about when they might have more stock. I guess it doesn't matter how cheap they are if they cant get them!! lol

Don't need them till end of August so will keep searching.. cheers for your help guys.

KP

Edit: Just noticed they charge £20 for delivery though. Still cheaper, but not quite the bargain I thought it might be!

kancho74

Jul 28, 2008
Norway
Nice to know there is something cheaper here in Norway compared to England, everything is expensive here but I have seen Reindeer hides go for as little as 200kr, ca 20 pound but the most expensive are still only 55. I know this doesn't help the thread starter but I was a little shocked at the prices!

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Does it have to be a Reindeer skin?

What about an underblanket?
I think Woodland Edge do the Wandering Star ones now.

I have one from the first group buy and it is excellant.:cool:
I'm sure it costs less than the prices quoted for the skin. It packs smaller as well;)

Only a thought.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, for the hammock, an underblanket would be fine, but would then need a top blanket which puts the cost up. The reason I wanted Reindeer hides was primarily to floor the inside of my Laavu...

Oh, if only I hadn't started learning to Dive- I would have money and could get both!!!
lol

Cheers for you help folks,

Much appreciated.

Does anyone know if you bought a standard hide, can you prepare the underside to make it waterproof, like the silicone backed hides? Maybe with Thompson waterseal or something similar?? or would that just rot the leather / hide??

KP

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Just scrape off all the fat and then paint with linseed oil.
Or paint with an oil based paint, 3 layers should do.

The linseed oil worked fine while I lived in the tipi this year.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just scrape off all the fat and then paint with linseed oil.
Or paint with an oil based paint, 3 layers should do.

The linseed oil worked fine while I lived in the tipi this year.

Do i get this right? A standard reindeer hide and just paint the under (skin) side with linseed oil? Does this proof it? Sorry, new to the reindeer skin thing and wondered where to go with it!

ganstey

Settler
I've just got back from Norway, and the guy I was staying with said he knew someone who supplied cheap reindeer hides. Not sure of the exact cost, and there would be postage from Norway as well, but I can enquire further if you're interested.

Apart from having them for sitting/sleeping on, is there any other use for them. I guess you could make various bits of clothing from them, but my sewing skills aren't up to that.

G

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Didn't MK do a groupbuy ages back on reindeer skins? May be worth asking him how he went about it.

In fact, I've just remembered something! :eek: PM on way MK!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi kiltedpict,
Got my brother to take a pic of the skin i got for him.

reindeer4dr4.jpg

The tape measure is a 6 feet one.

Cheers Topknot.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have just got back from my brother in laws, who used to work in Norway. I asked him if his contacts over there could get any hides cheap... his reply "I have 2 in the garage going spare if you want them". :D

After using them for 2 nights in the hammock (whilst the kids slept in the Lavvu), I am converted! They are really warm and soft to the touch. I think my home made underblanket might just be getting left at home this winter....

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE