red signal crayfish anyone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
is anyone catching these things alive ? i could use a few im not doing anything reprehensible, before anyone says its a foreign species that must be hampered not encoraged to spead.
im allready in an infected area ive just never heard of anyone catching them local to me or ever seen any myself ide like to have a go at breeding some in my garden pond cant be that hard as its large enuff i should imagine and allready airated enuff for other aqua forna to live in just a thort if anyone is trying to get rid of a few let me know.
cheers

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
The only person I have heard trapping them was a local angler. He told me you need a permit (I think from the Environment Agency)? Not sure if he was just trying to put me off. I have seen traps advertised will try to find a link.

Nick

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Martyn said:
...I'm certain that's illegal.
Very much so.

There's a lot of information at the River Cottage Forums.

The gist of that thread is that you need an EA license to trap crayfish and a DEFRA license to "move" them. :rolleyes:

On no account should any trapped signal crayfish be released back to a watercourse.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I ve caught loads of them.The river Thames and Cherwell are full of them, some time you can catch more cray fish than anything else. If you catch them whilst fishing its against the law to return them.You can get a E.A PERMIT to catch them but i have used a pot in the past and during the summer i,ve met a fair few people who use pots with out having a permit. Most people see them as pests so not to many people will be bothered with you catching them.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
well i know you dont need a permit to trap them as ive seen hugh fernly whittingstall do it with some canal people and ive watched the episode again to confirm nothing was mentioned about a permit
ive searched the environment agency site and they seem to be encouraging people to eat them
main reason i ask is a local farmer just told me i could have about 15 eel pots some one has left at his farm
and anty water course that leads in to the bristol channel is allready infected
seems a pity to waste an oppertunity but information is so scares ive been lokking for nearly 2 years periodicall
thanks for the info peeps

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
lyndon said:
well i know you dont need a permit to trap them as ive seen hugh fernly whittingstall do it with some canal people and ive watched the episode again to confirm nothing was mentioned about a permit
ive searched the environment agency site and they seem to be encouraging people to eat them
main reason i ask is a local farmer just told me i could have about 15 eel pots some one has left at his farm
and anty water course that leads in to the bristol channel is allready infected
seems a pity to waste an oppertunity but information is so scares ive been lokking for nearly 2 years periodicall
thanks for the info peeps

It's illegal to trap them unless you have permission & It's illegal to transport them to ponds & release them.

Here's the law in full...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm

If you are thinking of trapping crayfish you should bear in mind that there are a number of conditions that need to be met. Permission to trap will be dependent on local situations, in particular the presence of the native crayfish. The EA will also take into account the possible detrimental effect that trapping could have on other species, such as protected animals like otters and water voles. Many water courses go through private properties and it will be your responsibility to obtain the permission of the landowner before you commence. You should also try and ensure that the traps are inspected every 24 hours, and disinfected after use.

You should also be aware that if you reintroduce the caught crayfish into any other waters, without the required licence, you could be liable for prosecution under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and this could result in a heavy fine.

We would strongly advise you to seek advice from your local Environment Agency Officer before you make an application.

Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. Further information on these byelaws can be found on the Environment Agency website.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
nice link scanker your a gold mine m8 i still need to buy you a pint for the ration pack link lol this is what i got from the site a letter sent to the agency

Having checked out the links provided earlier in this topic, I found I am in a no-licence area

Thinking about what was said regarding moving crayfish, I emailed DEFRA to clarify what I would need in terms of licence to move them.

Here is my email and their response:
--------------------
Hello,

I have heard that if I catch non-native crayfish and want to take them home to cook and eat, I need a licence to move them. Is this true? I have already ascertained that I do not need a licence to keep them because I live in one of the postcodes designated as having established extensive feral populations of American Signals (Dartford postcode).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

--------------------------------------
Our ref: SSF766-680

Dear sir or madam

FISHING (ROD OR NET) FOR CRAYFISH

Thank you for your email enquiring about fishing for non-native crayfish.
Your email has been passed to me for reply.

You should note, firstly, that the (American) signal crayfish is considered
a pest species and carries an infection known as crayfish plague which is
fatal to the native white-clawed crayfish. Signal and other non-native
species of crayfish have become established in several parts of the country,
to the extent that the native crayfish is an endangered species. This
explains the restrictions set out below.

Crayfish are deemed, by the government and government agencies, to be fish.
Therefore, as long as you possess a valid rod licence you can remove most
species by rod and line. There is no limit to the number you can remove by
this method, subject to the landowner's permission. However, if you intend
to keep any of the crayfish you have caught in any kind of holding facility
then you will require a licence. Should you wish to keep crayfish, please
follow this link to download the application form:
www.efishbusiness.com/formsandguides/cray2.pdf
If you have difficulties accessing this then please contact us again with a
postal address and we will be able to give you a paper copy of the
application form.
looks like i may be able to get some if some one posts or pm,s me a p[lace to find them

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
lyndon said:
then you will require a licence. Should you wish to keep crayfish, please
follow this link to download the ...

Lyndon, it says "by rod and line", yes yopu can catch them in ones on a rod and line with just a rod licence, what you cant do is trap them.

You have chopped some of that email out, the rest reads like this...

then you will require a licence.
Should you wish to keep crayfish, please
follow this link to download the application form:
www.efishbusiness.com/formsandguides/cray2.pdf
If you have difficulties accessing this then please contact us again with a
postal address and we will be able to give you a paper copy of the
application form.

Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 provides protection for
the native white-clawed (or Atlantic stream) crayfish, preventing the taking
of native crayfish from the wild for consumption, recreational angling and
for the purposes of sale. It is a given, therefore, that if you do not know
what species of crayfish you might catch, you should not fish for crayfish
since you risk prosecution even for accidental taking of native crayfish.

You should note also that Section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act
prohibits the release into any inland water, without a licence, of any
non-native crayfish.
This covers "catch and release" so any non-native
crayfish that are caught must not be put back, regardless of size.

Although, the trapping of crayfish is permitted in the Environment Agency's
Thames Region under a byelaw you will need to apply to the Agency for a
consent, as well as obtaining the landowners permission. No other
Environment Agency Region has such a byelaw, so you would need to contact
Agency offices in the other Regions direct in order to establish their
willingness to let you use nets.

The same considerations set out above, relating to protection of native
crayfish, apply as much to netting as to angling.

You are also not allowed to put back any non-native crayfish you may have
caught, including any that you may consider are undersized.

You may wish to be aware that the issue of allowing individuals to trap
crayfish is at present under scrutiny with a new national byelaw being
developed. If you would like consent to trap for signal crayfish, please
contact the relevant area office of the Environment Agency.
They will be
able to provide you with any other information you may need or should be
aware of. If you are unsure as to which Agency area you may come under,
call the office you think is the right one and they can transfer you.

Yours sincerely

Miss A C Bowman
Fisheries Division II
(Aquaculture, Salmon, and Freshwater Fisheries)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well it's all there I think, nice one Martyn.

I think the problem you'll face Lyndon is that to improve the taste it's recommended you keep them in clean water for 48 hours to purge them. Trouble is, that obviously involves moving and storing them. :rolleyes:

So if you're in an area that doesn't need an EA license, you can catch them with a rod (providing you have an EA rod license!) but you'll have to immediately kill any you catch. Seems fair enough, I'm sure they'll taste ok if perhaps a little bit muddy. Don't forget you mustn't put back any tiddlers - you could be prosecuted for introducing a non-native species - kill them all.

As for HFW on ACOTWS - that was filmed a long time ago and I imagine before the current legislation. Even so, don't believe everything you see on the telly is legal just because there's no mention of the law. There was uproar on some forums recently when Jamie Oliver killed a lamb by slitting its throat as that method doesn't comply with EU law. That's a bit off topic, so we'll leave it there.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
i think the native ones are to small to eat :) also ther an endangered species. it would be quicker to go to france and get red signal ones and probably cheaper
o well it was worth a try i still want an invite to a days crayfishing or could some one tell me where to go in wales or close by in england ?

ive also applyed to e,a, for a permit to fish for eels with the nets i have been given ,now if a crayfish gets in ther i cant put it back as im breaking the law can i ? :nono:
as for purging its usually what they have been eating thats the bad idea not the area or water they have been in.
a barrel with hole,s half filled with concreate and submerged most of the way in the water column is sufficient to accomplish this and they dont leave the water they were caught in
have i got a solution yet do you think ?

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Lyndon we have loads of creyfish in a pond by me, Pen y fan pond at Croespenmaen about 4 miles south of Tradegar, I used to catch them at night by the bucket full, all you needed was some bait and a childs fishing net, unfortunately the local council and the enviromental agency have imposed permits due to the fear of someone releasing them in the local rivers I'm going through the process of getting a permit and will keep you posted

Ian

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
My student house last year backed onto the landlords farm, which we had shooting rights over, not a bad perk! There was a reasonable size river which i used to catch the signal crayfish out of just with a net and wellies.
You could spot them from the bank and scoop them up if you were quick. I found 'lamping' for them was much better, as they were more lethargic and easier to spot in the dark. I tried making a trap out of chicken wire with a rabbit leg but it didn't work, they weren't interested.
I used to catch between 10-20 on an outing and my student friends and i used to eat them - free student food. Put them in the freezer for 20 mins- which slows them down and stops them being so aggresive and easier to handle then drop into a large pan of boiling water for a 3 or 4 minutes till pink/brick red. Yummy!!
Interestingly they are only found in areas of hard water *** they need the calcium in the water to maintain their shells.
I used to make a garlic butter dip for the tails and claw meat they're very tasty.
hope this is of some use to someone

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
wow elma never new they wer so close, since ide never heard of them anyplace near here, thats about 15 miles from me ive sent you a pm m8 any help appreciated cheers lyn. :D
by the way ive looked for a os refrence but the pond dont show up :confused:

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
Well that is as they say is a turn up for the books ...not only did i find the pond elma mentioned i also saw bait bags and busted claws next to them.
But wait it gets stranger .....the entire lake (when exactly does a pond become a lake ?) is devoted to crayfisg !!!!!! theres even a trail for kids to walk round with big freindly signs saying " CAN YOU SPOT THE ALIEN INVADER" and such.
ive taken telepnone no. for fishing permits at the site and ive spoken to the environment agencie and im getting a trapping information pack tomorrow with luck.
next will be the camping trip /covert opperation :D possible this week if wales dries up a bit and i can get time to make a trap
thanks elmo i ....0u1... :D

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Does anyone have any experience in or around Exeter? Down by the quay there is a canal that I reckon looks prime. I see that other parts of the county, from EX19 through to EX35 or so are infested areas. Mi girlfriend lives around there and there are some stunning waterways, how sad to learn they're infested.

Oh well, next time i'm around I'll have to make use of the DEFRA/EA exclusion!

What have you guys used in terms of trap design? I red an article in the Shooting Times where they used a sinking ring stretched over with pea netting and some stinky fish in the middle. You lay the ring and craws crawl on to it, then when you pull it up the water resisteance, plus the fact their legs fall through the mesh mean you've got them.

We used a similar design for crabs in Australia which I used in Ireland which, to the surprise of my Irish cousins worked a treat.

I reckon the way to do it is a big camp stove and a big kettle and catch and boil like shrimp boats do...

Ben

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
Lyndon. To answer one of your earlier questions - You can't keep signal crayfish without a license, but there are lots of places that can. If you have a look at the defra website page (http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm) there is a link to a pdf (http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/pdf/licreq.pdf) that shows all the postcodes where signal crayfish can be kept. They are all areas where signals have been in residence for a long time and are deemed to pose no extra risk to native species by people keeping them.

'The Prohibition of Keeping of Live Fish (Crayfish) Order 1996 was made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980 this legislation makes it an offence to keep any crayfish in England and Wales, except under licence, an exception being the keeping of signal crayfish in those parts of England where extensive populations existed before the Order was introduced and such stringent controls were deemed inappropriate.'

So people like me in Ipswich can keep them but you and elma around Ynysddu can't under the current rules.
Cheers, Wavey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE