Recommendations around Worcester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm a long time lurker on Bushcraft forums, but haven't posted much. I'm planning on being a bit more active now I have moved a bit closer to Wales :)

I've recently moved to Worcester area and am looking for recommendations for wild camping. I'm pretty well equipped and have a good level of fitness.

Most important criteria for me is a nice view to look at when I'm putting my socks on in the morning!

Do the Malvern hills have much to offer (busy!?) or am I best going across to Brecon etc?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Taita,
i spent most of my childhood living in Malvern. It is a pretty area. The Hills, and a lot of the surrounding area are under the control of the Malven Hills Conservators (basically group of power crazed retired folk) who are very much against any form of camping etc on the hills (they'd stop walkers if they could, lol). But there are some large areas of common land around the base, such as Castlemorten Common. But be careful of fires, the area is prone to grass fires. You could contact them, but i'd doubt yo'd get any permissions as they wouldn't want to set president.
Other areas that may be worth looking into is the Wyre forest over near Kidderminster and the Forest of Dean, near Ross on Wye.
As a youngster i used to camp out in these areas frequently, though i doubt it was legal.
Herefordshire has a lot of woodland and there are a few groups who go out regularly, but i couldn't say where or who they are. Hopefully someone else on here may be able to help.
Good luck and i hope you find somewhere.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Avoid the malverns, they are busy, probably why they want to stop people walking them. Some parts are the most heavily worn areas I've seen.

I do not believe wild camping is allowed without permission anywhere exept scotland, and some of the national parks, which happens and has always happened there, in a sort of cause no problems and I will not pull rank arrangement.

You must know the cotswolds, Malvern you mentioned. Then there is the Clee hills (busyish), the long mynd hills(busyish pick your area) and stiper stones(busyish),forest of dean, breccon beacons, black mountains. Find a farmer and ask him. There are camp sites in these areas that offer nothing more than a man hole for your bucket and animals in the field, and they are registered sites.

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
assuming, of course, you sort out permission....

the Wyre Forest is the most obvious option - about half of the forest is owned and managed by the forestry commision, but the other half is privately owned. i'd take a day, have a walk around (particularly the Button Oak/Button Bridge end), and see what you can find.

the other good option in Brown Clee Hill - its the highest point in Shropshire, its much less visited that Titterstone Clee Hill next door, and unlike the very bare Titterstone, its forested up to the summit on the eastern side of the hill.

i wouldn't bother with the Malverns - far too busy, far too regulated.

Long Mynd could be an option - its owned by the National Trust, and whilst that normally means 'no chance', they are working through a new policy that seeks to allow people much more access to the Mynd, youth groups etc.. are already allowed to camp up there. Stiperstones could also be possible - though theres very little cover up on the ridge or anywhere near it, it would be a very spartan existance if theres a wind blowing.

it might also be worth contacting the Ranger Service at the Elan Valley Trust.

on Access land within the Brecon Beacons National Park, wild camping is tolerated/accepted as long as its within the normal rules (away from a road, on unfenced land, arrive late and leave early), but quite how bushcrafty their definition of wild camping is, to me, unknown. however, i'd bet my mortgage on the local tolerance not including fires on anywhere except gravelly lake shores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE