Ray Mears - tarp criticism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Just watched a Ray Mears bushcraft episode, where he folds his tarp and states he folds it the same way every time.
I find it hard to criticize the great man but folding the same way every time will create weak spots and reduce equipment life? or am I wrong.
imho always used stuff sacks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Difficult to say. I've never had this problem myself, although I'd wager Ray gets more use out of his tarps than I do! I reckon it would take a long time to wear an Aussie hootchie out as they are very robust.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Difficult to say. I've never had this problem myself, although I'd wager Ray gets more use out of his tarps than I do! I reckon it would take a long time to wear an Aussie hootchie out as they are very robust.

Good input as usual, we are at the "you get what you pay for" question. So if you have a cheap tarp = stuff sack.
good quality tarp = what ever you need to make it fit.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm not sure about the quality over the bombproofness. I'd like to think it wouldn't matter with a tarp unless it had a silicone underproofing, you know, that rubbery stuff that peels off after a few years. The Tatonka polycotton looks like it should last forever unless it ripped and it doesn't have a rubbery underside so the proofing is in the material fibres and how they are woven. There are seams though where panels are joined which could fail over time.

I seem to recall the folding causes weaknes idea, but not sure where it originates from and if that person had first hand experience of that hapening or if it is just supposition. (Big word!)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I usually fold my tarps in a similar manner each time for no other reason than that being how far my arms can reach.

I haven't noticed any problems so far but mine are the Tatonka cotton type tarps.

I suspect a bigger problem could be caused by most peoples method of hanging a tarp over a ridgeline.

This definately causes wear in windy conditions but I see many books and guides suggesting that method.

I usually hang my tarp under a line so it can't rub. I usually have some elastic in the system somewhere too to reduce the stress on the fabric.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmmm.... Even if it does cause wear over time, is that more or less important than being able to get your tarp up quickly at the end of a hard day (possibly in the dark and in foul weather), without having to think about it at all?

As for the ridgeline under / over question... Running the ridgeline under the tarp just seems to be inviting drips to me.

Reactions: Qwerty

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hmmm.... Even if it does cause wear over time, is that more or less important than being able to get your tarp up quickly at the end of a hard day (possibly in the dark and in foul weather), without having to think about it at all?

As my ridge line is already threaded through the hanging loops of my tarp, it is probably quicker for me to do it that way than trying to throw a tarp over a ridge line in the wind and then peg it down before it blows back off again!

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I have to say that it's something that I'd wondered about, but I think it's also a factor on how much you try to get out of your kit. I rather suspect that Ray isn't sentimental about tarps and the like, nor has any special need to try and scrape the life out as long as possible, so I think he chooses the most convenient method and is willing to replace a tarp when it needs it.

Reactions: santaman2000

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
spamel: Well, yeah - but what I meant was that it's quicker and easier if you know that it's folded up in a consistent manner, rather than stuffed in a stuff sack. I think you may have missed that the original question was about whether to fold it up the same way every time, not whether to put it over or under the ridgeline. That was a digression... ;)

scoops: As for keeping the lines tidy when packing it away, I hank up the guy lines and tie them up in such a way that I know they'll pull out cleanly, fold / roll the tarp so they're on the inside, and use the ridgeline to wrap the whole lot up. All done with slip knots, so you can just pull the free end and get on with it.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
spamel: Well, yeah - but what I meant was that it's quicker and easier if you know that it's folded up in a consistent manner, rather than stuffed in a stuff sack. I think you may have missed that the original question was about whether to fold it up the same way every time, not whether to put it over or under the ridgeline. That was a digression... ;)

scoops: As for keeping the lines tidy when packing it away, I hank up the guy lines and tie them up in such a way that I know they'll pull out cleanly, fold / roll the tarp so they're on the inside, and use the ridgeline to wrap the whole lot up. All done with slip knots, so you can just pull the free end and get on with it.

Thanks , I stuff mine (tarp that is) with the hanked cord i need at the top.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have just got a Tatonka cotton type tarp a 3x3.not used it yet but was looking at the black tapes with slots for the ropes they dont look like they could hold it up in a strong wind and was thinking of the over line method insted,i know i may be wrong has anyone had any problems with them weaking and leeking or the tapes ripping off? sorry if i woffal..lol

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
You'll find that Ray does a lot of stuff the same way as its tried and tested and probably could do it blind folded which in a tricky situation could be quite helpful

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've used a 9 foot by 12 foot canvas painters dropclothe as a tarp for most of 2 decades, and have had no problems with it "wearing out" along the fold lines. I use it for everything - as shelter, as a wind break, as a tent floor, and to cover stuff up in the back of my pickup truck. It rides on the passenger side floorboards in the cab all the time. And I generally fold it up the same way each time. I use it, abuse it, and it's gotten pretty dirty gray in color over the years. But it's just held up through it all. Altho, I should consider giving it another waterproof treatment one of these years.

I did not sew on loops or tabs/tape. I used that old "tipi" method of attaching cord to it. Take a small rock or marble, put it on the canvas where you want to attach a cord/rope, gather the canvas over and around that marble, then tie your cord tight around the canvas. They work great, and I move them around as I need to.

I've only seen that "wear" problem on folded canvas/tarps with very heavily treated tarps. And the "wear" along the fold lines ended up being caused by other things rubbing along that fold line. I never saw any damage just from being folded in the same places.

One thing to keep in mind. A "tarp", like any other gear, is a "consumable supply". It will not last forever. It will age/weather/tear over time, and will require replacement at some time in the future. How long it lasts depends mostly on how much use it gets and how hard you use it. My painter's dropclothe tarp is still going strong after more than 2 decades of hard use.

Just my humble opinions to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Reactions: santaman2000

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I've used a 9 foot by 12 foot canvas painters dropclothe as a tarp for most of 2 decades, and have had no problems with it "wearing out" along the fold lines. I use it for everything - as shelter, as a wind break, as a tent floor, and to cover stuff up in the back of my pickup truck. It rides on the passenger side floorboards in the cab all the time. And I generally fold it up the same way each time. I use it, abuse it, and it's gotten pretty dirty gray in color over the years. But it's just held up through it all. Altho, I should consider giving it another waterproof treatment one of these years.

I did not sew on loops or tabs/tape. I used that old "tipi" method of attaching cord to it. Take a small rock or marble, put it on the canvas where you want to attach a cord/rope, gather the canvas over and around that marble, then tie your cord tight around the canvas. They work great, and I move them around as I need to.

I've only seen that "wear" problem on folded canvas/tarps with very heavily treated tarps. And the "wear" along the fold lines ended up being caused by other things rubbing along that fold line. I never saw any damage just from being folded in the same places.

One thing to keep in mind. A "tarp", like any other gear, is a "consumable supply". It will not last forever. It will age/weather/tear over time, and will require replacement at some time in the future. How long it lasts depends mostly on how much use it gets and how hard you use it. My painter's dropclothe tarp is still going strong after more than 2 decades of hard use.

Just my humble opinions to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Been away from this forum awhile. But it's this kind of solid info that makes this site what it is -- the best. :thanks:

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi all

In my humble opinion rigging is possibly the one of the most limiting factors, too slack and it will flap around in the wind putting undue strain on whatever method of anchor you have and in wet conditions leading to water pooling where it will eventually leak. I know they are out of fashion but I like bungees, they allow for plenty of tension and are forgiving in the wind.

Mike, I guess with a 9x12 tarp you have a pretty steep ridge angle that will increase shedding of water and the larger the tarp the less chance of it being contacted on the inside that was always the problem with canvas when I was a kid.

Pothunter.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too like bungee tensioning of a tarp.
It is quick, easy, gives play in a wind and prevents the need for constantly retensioning your guys.
I use them for the sides/corners of my tarp but use a ridge line from which the tarp is suspended.
I do not leave the lines/bungees attached to the tarp and stuff the tarp into a stuff sack.
Works for me.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
i have just got a Tatonka cotton type tarp a 3x3.not used it yet but was looking at the black tapes with slots for the ropes they dont look like they could hold it up in a strong wind and was thinking of the over line method insted,i know i may be wrong has anyone had any problems with them weaking and leeking or the tapes ripping off? sorry if i woffal..lol

I have used mine quite a bit and not had a problem with those slotted black taped bits. They are alot stronger than they look. No leaking either. But I would be interested in other people's long-term usage views on these tarps as I have had mine less than a year.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Just watched a Ray Mears bushcraft episode, where he folds his tarp and states he folds it the same way every time.
I find it hard to criticize the great man but folding the same way every time will create weak spots and reduce equipment life? or am I wrong.
imho always used stuff sacks.

Interesting point! I fold my OS maps a different way each time I pack them away and get at least four outings out of them.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE