Rawhide Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Kncoked this up over the weekend for the new wantaforge knife i posted recently
Dyed with coffee dregs and grounds whilst it was soaking to become pliant
This is my first attempt at wet forming, also the first time working with rawhide as it happens.
Whilst i am pleased the critical eye is looking at the end result. However i think it suits the style of the knife
20180107_220828.jpg

Reactions: scruff

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
When i first saw this knife, my first thought was "Gotta be rawhide". That's an excellent functional sheath, although I can see how you might want to do it again. Does it have a wooden liner?

I think rawhide is amazing stuff; like the kydex of the stone-age.

Z

Reactions: Man of Tanith
nicely done Sam, how was it for stitching? I imagine it to be a real pain, haven't worked with rawhide myself yet
Actually quite easy
When i first saw this knife, my first thought was "Gotta be rawhide". That's an excellent functional sheath, although I can see how you might want to do it again. Does it have a wooden liner?

I think rawhide is amazing stuff; like the kydex of the stone-age.

Z
This one hasnt a wood liner
I suspect i will be making another one which will

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Looks really in keeping and I am thinking it was flippin' hard work to do too.
Shellac works well on wood as either a sealer or as French polish but it is a bit brittle. (just my experience of it in my job)
Is there a recipe out there for a shellac and beeswax mix that might work ?
Rob.

Reactions: Man of Tanith
Looks really in keeping and I am thinking it was flippin' hard work to do too.
Shellac works well on wood as either a sealer or as French polish but it is a bit brittle. (just my experience of it in my job)
Is there a recipe out there for a shellac and beeswax mix that might work ?
Rob.
Actually i found the rawhide very easy to work.
It was very pliable when wet i simply wrapped it round the clingfilmed knife and then clamped it with pegs until it was dry.
It set pretty solid as you can imagine which actually made it easier to sew as it wasnt flapping around like leather of this thickness may of done.

I shall investigate the shellac/beeswax blend as it would still be in keeping with the material more than modern varnishes

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It might be good if the waterproofing is somewhat flexible. Wonder if the products made for painting wooden boat hulls might work?
International has a wide range of varnishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE