Push net shrimping, help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Does anyone here push net shrimp? I would love to give it a bash, I’m sure I can modify a large landing net I have to suit this type of fishing, or build a net to do this, just need a general idea where to keep away from and what time of year might be best?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have a shrimp net and have been shrimping many times.

I would say that a landing net probably won't be man enough for the job - you need a strong leading edge which is going to be pushed through the sand. Landing nets aren't made for that nor are they big enough.
But it is very easy to make your own shrimping net (I did) and you can easily find plans on the internet for them.
Here's the one I made:

40297986832_1f34879dff_c.jpg

Best time to go shrimping is outside the summer months. Now is a good time. Remember the old adage - only collect seafood if there's an 'r' in the month.
You want long, flat, sandy beaches.

I prefer to go shrimping as the tide is coming in. Go into the water up to knee depth (no need to go any deeper) then push the leading edge of the net into the sand so that it digs in the first couple of inches and with the net at about 45 degrees push it parallel with the beach. Keep going for some 20 or so yards and then haul up your net and see what's in there. Sometimes you get loads, sometimes you don't.

The idea is that the net disturbs the shrimp who are buried shallowly in the sand, and as they jump up they are caught in the net.
You'll get all sorts of other bits and bobs in the net as well - pay particular care and attention if there are any weaver fish because they can give you very nasty sting. For that reason always wear something on our feet (I go in with shorts and sandals regardless the time of year, but you can wear waders if you're made of weaker stuff).
Don't forget a bucket to put your catch in, tied about your waist if you're out netting alone.

And do keep an eye on the tide and make sure you move in with it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Small critter, spine with toxin on dorsal and gill covers

Ok to use as a bait if you snip off the dorsal fin and gill covers off.
I am sure the French have a recipe for them.

Those shrimp are borderline Krill.
But very, very tasty!

Reactions: Robson Valley

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I used to do this a lot as a kid, sometimes for fun or food but usually to get bait. We only had access to rocky beaches though and a net would get ruined pretty quickly. Rule number one is to throw back any gravid females. If you don't want to carry a bucket you can drill small holes in a 5 litre bottle or similar container, make a DIY lid for it held closed with wire and tow it behind you on a string. I made a wooden version years ago that was a bit more durable so I could keep bait alive for longer. Worked for sandeels and small fish too. Worth while going to the trouble if you're going to do it a lot.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nah. Reads like you push a sandy beach that's going to get rearranged by the wave action anyway. Either you or the tide.
I like bulk shrimp to eat. Would love to try these. Maybe they're bait until I cook them.
I'm told that good things sometimes come in small packages. Hoisin-honey-garlic and 26-30 size.

Scallop draggers here are running nets on skiis so the leadline never scuffs up the sea floor (below wave depth).
I read that the by-catch is basically zero now. The taste of the scallops has not changed, either.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pushing for sand shrimp would do miniscule damage to a sandy beach. Couldn't wreck anything.

The doors on my shrimp trawl didn't weigh 100 lbs each but I sure they killed everything they hit or ran over.
I still have a sense that the lead line wasn't running on the bottom. There never seemed to be enough wear.
I'd sure like to watch one of the newer ski-scallop trawls on the drag.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Push net shrimping must be one of the oldest ways to collect sea food.
Is there archeological evidence in UK that the folks of old ate shrimp?

My granddad (mothers) refused to eat sea food. except fish.
My old friend (may he live until summer) calls shrimp 'bait' except in Norwegian. He was the largest shrimp catcher in Barents sea in the area.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Them and crabs = trash cans of the sea. Better living through biochemistry.
If these little sand shrimp are edible, I'm all up to try them.
Deal is when they are little, it slows the meal down. Nobody can rush things.

Paleo. Depends on how durable the shells or identifying fragments might be in a midden.
Might there be some remains of freshwater crays as well? 14C can nail the age.

Coastal middens here are just about all clam/oyster/mussel shell, some abalone & limpet.
Never heard of any shrimp shell but we have no inshore species. Lots of little shell molluscs used in artwork.
Inland, up the big rivers and tribs, the middens are 95% fish bone, 5% land animals.

Lots of people go wild over the BC coast Spot Prawns (about 36-50 size.) Pink with precise little white dots all over.
I think the only thing going for them is that they are local.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE