Problem with kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Dear Fellows,
I've bought a kuksa several years ago. i used it seldom because everytime the wood releases an greasy patina, probably due to the oil used for the cup by the maker. I attempted several uses, but even with water it seems impossible to drink without a brothy aftertaste

Any idea how to fix this?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A long shot in the dark, but gentle cooking in water with dishwasher liquid for a few minutes?

As it is unusable as it is it might be worth to try a method that posdibly might destroy your kåsa.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Dear Fellows,
I've bought a kuksa several years ago. i used it seldom because everytime the wood releases an greasy patina, probably due to the oil used for the cup by the maker. I attempted several uses, but even with water it seems impossible to drink without a brothy aftertaste

Any idea how to fix this?

Do you know what finish it was given?
Some oil finishes will leach out for a while especially if not heat treated as Robson Valley has mentioned in various posts, I have copied his post below.

Robson Valley
"Another method to apply an oil finish seems to have excellent durability.
I've finished 70 spoons and 30 forks, all birch, this way:

Preheat your oven to 300F, no hotter than 325F.
Coat the utensil with the oil of choice.
On a wire rack over a sheet pan, put your work into the oven (middle) for 3 minutes, by the clock.
No longer or it will brown nicely like fried potato.
Take it out and let it cool.

Here's what happened:
Charles' Law in gas physics predicts that the wood air will expand when heated.
Out of the oven, Charles' Law predicts that the remaining wood air will contract as it cools,
sucking the hot oil finish down into the surface wood much further
than any possible room temperature application.

It also means that the oil in the wood can't and won't move unless the piece is reheated to that temperature or higher."

Hope that helps.
Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A long shot, but let's imagine that the kuksa was painted or soaked in veg oil at room temperature.
Of course, some oil will penetrate the wood surface and leach out as 2trapper has observed.
That's what makes me think room temp application.

Using Janne's suggestion, heat the the kuksa in water with only a drop or two of dish detergent. I'll guess 3 minutes.
Charles' Law predicts that the warmed wood will warm the wood air which expands.
That, in turn, will push the oil(?) out into the water where it will be captured by the detergent.
Rinse in very hot water and towel dry (so the hot water cooling doesn't go into the wood.)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I finished my early ones in raw linseed poil. everything tasted of...........raw linseed oil. It does wear out with repeated applications of coffee. I take my coffee black and this maybe increases the temperature more than with milk.

milk is another possible. Boiling in milk gives a surface to the wood. try it on a scrap first and see.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Milk goes rancid.
We use butterknives of juniper wood in Sweden because the oils prevent absorbtion of the milk fat.

Okay, but I'm think I'd read that the caesin in it becomes hard and helps preserve the wood. Old butter churns are well preserved. Sure there was a thread about boiling in milk. I'll have a look.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No boiling liquid can disturb a baked-in oil finish which was set at 300 - 350F.
That means that none of the oil oozes out to flavor the food.
Food-grade mineral oil is odorless and tasteless. Use that.
I pulled this trick with bees wax some years ago for a kitchen dish to hold wet sponges, etc.

I was stirring/cooking pasta last night.
My big fork looks fresh-made after maybe 4(?) years.
Forks stir without splashing.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thanks to all. Just an update. I'm trying to rinse it with warm water and it seems to be effectivejust in terms of removing oil. It removes a lot more than before, but it owuld be soaked in the oil. I don't no which treatment was used, but the seller was on ebay for several years selling puuko and other finnish items

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thought you lived on th Cayman Island ?

Yes, since 11 years. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. Before that 10 years in England. Moved to England from Sweden. Still use Juniper wood butter knives some of which I and my new wife carved 25 years ago.
My Juniper frying spatula broke last year. Will carve a new one as I have a nice well aged log I have since I was a teenager.

Could it be flaxseed oil? Popular in Scandinavia.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Yes, since 11 years. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. Before that 10 years in England. Moved to England from Sweden. Still use Juniper wood butter knives some of which I and my new wife carved 25 years ago.
My Juniper frying spatula broke last year. Will carve a new one as I have a nice well aged log I have since I was a teenager.

Could it be flaxseed oil? Popular in Scandinavia.

By tasting yes, it could be. Now I'm approaching the problem gently boililng the kuksa (at about 70°C). it takes A LOT MORE oil outside the kuksa

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Where is it made?

I have seen Scandi made ( do not remember if made in Nirway or Sweden) kåsas in Scandinavian outdoir shops, thr ones with two finger holes, and some have felt 'oily' to the touch.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Since two days ago only water. Cold. the first attempt with hot drinks was with hot tea that became broth very quickly. My kuksa went through a very hard sunday, with several "boiling assaults". I took it to water boiling point in a pot for four to five times. it seems all the oily patina went away and now it's drying. I update you with progress.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE