Polyester baselayer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
I'd need your help with polyester base layers. Absolutely love the Rothco ecws base layers as they are heavyweight, warm, cheap, durable and they dry lightening fast! Only problem - sizing. As I'm quite slim / athletic I need to order a size down which makes them just a tad too short. Does anyone have suggestions for a similar product but with a slimmer, longer cut? Icebreaker base layers fit perfectly and I do own a fair few but I'm specifically looking for super quick drying polyester (I don't want to start another wool vs polyester thread as I know what I' m after). I looked at HH for a while but the reviews aren't good at all.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Purely based on the ones I own... Patagonia Capilene and Marmot Driclime, both in different warmth/weights and neck styles.
I’ve also got a Brynje mesh layer in Meraklon fabric- not sure if that’s polyester but it is synthetic.

None of the above will necessarily fit the ‘cheap’ requirement, however the Patagonia and Marmot ones I’ve owned since 1999. One set is the lightest ‘silkweight’ capilene t shirt and shorts that I wear as an undergarment for caving - other than being stained filthy by mud and nibbled by mice it’s still going just as strong after hundreds of wear/wash (rinse in a barrel of rainwater) cycles.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Good one: Marmot! I like the sound of that durability! What's their fit like? I read only good things about the material Patagonia uses but the cut is usually too generous around the gut got me. Or has that changed?

Just to clarify, cheap wasn't a requirement. Most important factors I'm looking for: must dry really quick, fairly warm and a more athletic fit than Rothco and possibly Patagonia.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Yep a lot of Patagonia synthetics are recycled from pop bottles etc and I just like their ethics. I find I always have to go at least a size down in their stuff but taking that into account it’s a decent fit. The website has a size calculator where you put your dims in AND state your preferred fit (tight or loose) and the last time I used it (Houdini jacket) it’s bang on

rickwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Cheshire, UK
I recently bought one of these "OEX Men's Barneo Base Top LS" from Go Outdoors. I'm tall and pretty slim and struggle with sleeve length too and this fits perfectly. It has plenty of sleeve length and includes thumb loops so it keep the back of your hands warm too, but you can easily fold the cuffs back if you dont need them. Its made of bamboo & polyamide, stretches nicley and feels comfortable. Plus its dirt cheap so worth a punt on if nothing else. Currently £17.60!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Screwfix sell helly long sleeve thermals for about £10-15 but only in black im sure.

The same as the lifas but no stripes, they're good. Decathalon also sell good ones for cheap.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Tresspass have a two part base layer "ribbed" so to be stretchy I have a set and there not bad, I'm 5'11 thin, muscular and there a good fit and on sale at about £16

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE