Planning: Tromso in February

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My friend and I have booked a 7 day camping trip to Tromso at the end of next Feb.Any recommendations for wild camping spots?

We're thinking of starting at Lyfjord by the coast and working our way down to the mountains & lakes west of Tromso then exploring the actual city of Tromso on our final day.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I need to ask, do you have experience of being in the wild in winter?
In mountains during winter?
How will you get to the area you think of? Bus, taxi, walk?
How will you get around outside the road? Snow shoes?
Count on around -5 to -10, a couple of feet of snow. With a bit of bad luck, high winds or storm.
Remember, the day is short during February, sun is above the horizon about 7.30 to 15.30 or so. But do not count to see the sun.

I spend a bit of time each year, in March, and during summer, about 300 km further south.

Know Tromsø quite well.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I have quite a bit of experience in Scottish winters down to -5 but this will be a first in Norway. We'll get a taxi from the airport and trek with snowshoes.

Using Google maps I'm struggling to find any forests for fuel to heat the tent it mostly looks rocky\mountains

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There is not much ‘proper’ forest, mainly stunted mountain birch.
If you google ‘Kvaløya Tromsø’ you will read and see, about the large island to the west of Tomsø.

Snow shoes are fine. You will not ne spenfing your week trying to do any crazy long trekking anyway.
Taxis are expensive. I recommend the excellent bus service.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Yes I've been looking at Kvaløya but was worried about the distance from Tromso, I'll have to look into the bus schedules.

I've been looking at kvaloysletta and the mountains nearby, maybe I'll look at renting a car depending on costs

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I checked on Google Earth: if you take the bridge over to Kvaløya, then a couple of kilometers north east, then across the island to Lyfjord, Skulsøya.

Seems to be at least covered with the stunted birch. You will have a food shop there. In worst case, Airbnb!

You have the choice of either being in the forest, or close to the sea. Avoid the bare mountain, to dangerous for you.

I am happy to help with translations and do on. If you would like, PM me.

Just a question, why Tromsø?

I could give you more ideas of nice places to visit and enjoy, in the area I know, Moskenesøya in Lofoten.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Thankyou that would be extremely helpful!

Tromso is just where the plane lands! Lol we just wanted to stay local to avoid high costs and for safety incase of emergencies.

Would it be easy to get to the lofoten islands from Tromso? I've just looked and there's buses all day and night no names I recognize though haha

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No problem!
If you fly to Oslo Gardemoen, you can take the aircompany Widerøe to Leknes. You fly with a Dash 8 turboprop which is super cool.
Oslo -Stokmarknes ( change aircraft) - Leknes.
Bus Leknes to Reine.
Cheapest and just as goid as a taxi.
(Look on Google Earth) just south of Reine there is a nicely wooded area beneath the ‘mountain top’ Reinebringen.
The forest is stunted birch, but it is fairly high. Not legal to chop it down to be frank.
Reine has an exellent coffee place, a well stocked petrol station ( food and supplies) and 10 minutes walk away from the causeway( leading yo the actual village) there is a very well stocked CoOp.
Buy dry birch wood in the petrol station. Easier. You might want to prune one stunted birch, to make more space for the other trees, and practice firecraft. I do that I confess!
A superb store for wilderness supplies in Reine.

The ’valley’ by Reinebringen is sheltered from storms. Nice walk ( if you are fit and able) up to Reinebringen. 600 meters over the sea or so.
February is the high season for the famous Screi cod fishery.
If you go to Reine, there are ‘tourist fishing’ trips.
Do it, you will not regret it.
Akternative two is to take the ferry from Reine to Windstad in the fjord, then walk across to the extremely beautiful beach on the Atlantic coast. Usually plenty of driftwood there.

Should you stay in the Reine vicinity and the weather turns nasty you can camp under the extention of my house, ( but I am not there)
Safe, dry.

Reine has been judged to be one if the most beautiful villages in Norway. Google ‘Lofoten’ and pics of Reine will be first. Genuine place.
Lots of cool stuff to do, like diving, hiking, taking a fast boat to see the famous Maelstrøm, prehistoric caves with petroglyphs outside Å, fishing of course ( boat, pier), watching eagles.
Interesting fishery museum in Å.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I fell in love with the place the year I met my wife back home in Sweden. We went there on our honeymoon, then I have been going twice yearly for 24 years now, the last 16 with my son.
For me, Paradise. I even bought a house and have a boat there now

I live 2 days air travel away, so it has to be pretty special.......

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Nice! I'll check all this out tomorrow morning, we've already booked flights to Tromso but I'll see what can be done.

Thankyou for all the help

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Or if you want to trek for longer, you take the bus a little bit further south, to Sørvågen, excellent trails up into the mountains.

Leknes is crap, not much to see. But, BUT! you have a superb Viking museum in Borg just north of Leknes. A recreated longhouse, plus museum. Bus from Leknes. More forested areas there for a one nighter.

Do NOT hesitate to contact me. PM.

Regards
Jan

Reactions: Grotzilla

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE