Pheasants.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surrounded by prats that hand rear pheasants. Release them into 'the'wild' then a few days later turn up in fancy dress, kick them up in the air, and shoot them.

During their brief sojourn fending for themselves whilst they wander bemused on the roads and woods around where I live, are they fair game for a catapult?

Any one know.

Windy

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Catapult hunting and UK law.

It is completely legal to shoot rabbits with a catapult with the intention to kill. So if you are looking for dinner you can use a catapult, it is legal.

However you must :
a. Have permission from the landowner to do so first!
b. Be proficient enough to be able to kill, and must use suitable projectiles to ensure this! For example steel ball bearings.
c. Intend to kill.

It is also important to note : The Wild Mammals Protection Act 1996 which makes it an offence to injure, maim, beat with sticks, torment, burn, wild animals etc. . In other words not to kill but merely to cause suffering. Therefore if you are seen shooting at a rabbit time and time again without killing or stunning the rabbit only hitting it, this could be seen as contrary to this act, and would need to answer for it, possibly in court. Therefore power, accuracy, using adequate and suitable projectiles, and at a range whereby an accurate shot will kill, is vital to be and be seen to be within the law.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Even if they were on your land, someone has paid to rear those pheasants and regardless of your views of that someone, is it morally right to take their property?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Pheasants are not classed as livestock but I would be wary of hunting one down unless it's on your land.

A fair bit of time and money is spent in rearing them from poults and any owner would take a dim view of them being killed. They go to great lengths of setting electric fences etc to keep the foxes at bay, I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened stronger action against a biped.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
[h=3](from http://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/resources/articles/art_frbu_animal_law.aspx)
Straying[/h]
If someone else’s livestock strays onto your land, you can claim for any damage caused as well as any expenses incurred in keeping the animals (which can be until they are handed back to the owner or if you decide to exercise your right of detention). If you do decide to exercise your right of detention, you need to be aware that that right ceases under the following circumstances:​
  1. at the end of a 48 hour period unless, either a police officer in charge of a police station or the owner of the livestock, if you know who they are, have been notified of the detention; or​
  2. when you have been suitably reimbursed for the damage caused by the straying livestock and for any expenses reasonably incurred in keeping them; or​
  3. when the livestock is claimed by the owner or keeper, providing no damage has been caused (and no claim for expenses exists); or​
  4. when a Court orders the return of the livestock.​
If you do exercise your right to detain the animals, you must make sure that you care for them properly otherwise you may be liable for any distress or hurt befalling them. If you legally detain the animals for 14 days or more, you may acquire the right to sell them (although the proceeds, less your costs and claim for damages, will go to the animals’ owner). However, you cannot do this if arrangements are already in hand for their return, or if any claim for the damage done by the livestock is underway. Take care when exercising any of the above rights although, fortunately, most incidents of straying are resolved quickly and amicably.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Pheasants are not classed as livestock but I would be wary of hunting one down unless it's on your land.

A fair bit of time and money is spent in rearing them from poults and any owner would take a dim view of them being killed. They go to great lengths of setting electric fences etc to keep the foxes at bay, I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened stronger action against a biped.

game is the property of the owner of the land it is on,thats the law,if its on your property its 'fair game'.the only exceptions are on a highway,technically its then the property of the highways agency,and its illegal to take game with a motor vehicle,the old fable about the car behind being able to pick it up if you hit is true ,unless the car in front is running them over for you to pick up,that would be the same charge as the driver.

ph.jpg

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Really, just reading about shoot seasons, I guess you have to be with in those? and have land owners permission and a game lisence, is this right,

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfar...spoultry/documents/gamebirdindustry-study.pdf

seasons do count and so they should,you must always have the land owners permission ,you may shoot pheasants out of season for the purpose of crop protection or public health reasons.so if the blighter is on your veg patch he's 'stuffed'.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Game licences are no more. Pheasant are NOT livestock. In season and ONLY in season pheasant may be taken. If they are on your land they belong to you. If they are on your land and you shoot them but they fall 2' onto someone else's land they are no longer yours even though you dispatched them and you would commit offences recovering them.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Also do you recognise that rabbit is classed as vermin where as pheasant is game, as I understand it no one owns vermin, Game is always owned,

you still need the land owners permission to 'take' or kill vermin on or over his land.if you dont your poaching.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
seasons do count and so they should,you must always have the land owners permission ,you may shoot pheasants out of season for the purpose of crop protection or public health reasons.so if the blighter is on your veg patch he's 'stuffed'.

Pheasants are not on the general licence Fish. But I think we both know that ;)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Aye. But game on a public highway. Mmmmm. Hey Southey, how do you remember all that stuff?

Windy

Ps ta for responses. Might just take pot shots at those in fancy dress instead.

It just stuff i have heard while at our rough shoot at our last house, but its worth checking, better to know your right than run into the Game keeper, or worse, his lad!:)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
In season and ONLY in season pheasant may be taken.

publications.naturalengland.org.uk/file/1220047

"The taking of game birds in the close season
can be authorised by the Minister under the
Agriculture Act 1947 (section 98) for the purpose
of preventing serious damage to crops, livestock
and other agricultural interests. There are no
other exceptions and no licensing provisions
within the 1831 Act or other legislation that
would permit the taking of game birds during the
close season for other purposes, including
breeding or translocation."

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I'm surrounded by prats that hand rear pheasants. Release them into 'the'wild' then a few days later turn up in fancy dress, kick them up in the air, and shoot them.

During their brief sojourn fending for themselves whilst they wander bemused on the roads and woods around where I live, are they fair game for a catapult?

Any one know.

Windy

Post of the week methinks :D :D :D

Is it leagal to run over a pheasant on a Sunday if it's on the public highway? :eek:

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Over the farm we have pheasants that live and breed wild, some probably been here for several generations, quite possibly longer than the wifes familly who own the farm.

Also got a few that the blokes who help control the vermin released to boost their few days rough shooting. (We don't have any sizeable woodland to 'hold' them in so they really just wander where ever and add to to the 'wild' stock over the land)

And undoubtedly some from just over the brow of the hill where in the next valley there is a stocked shoot. We always seem seem to have more about in the top fields half way through the season.

Buggered if I can tell the difference between them ? Never found one yet that was carrying papers or offered details of a fixed ressidence.

When out looking for a meal I only shoot on our land and at what will fall inside it. (Though in truth the nieghbours on all sides would be quite happy for me to retrieve or pursue a fallen bird or beast, as we would for them.)

As I understand if pheasant is in season, a quary you have permission to take and on land you have right to shoot over it's yours if you can hit it.

(From experience if you ask for papers or place of birth first they generally leg it !)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE