Pellet Mould Maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can anyone suggest a decent supplier / maker of Moulds for Air Rifle Pellets please?

Thanks

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't know about their decency(!) or otherwise but the sole possible source is probably Brownells.
Casting .30 or even .45 cal takes some practice. I can't see casting .177 or even .22 cal.

Trotsky

Bookmarking that for later, thanks!
I do seem to recall seeing another device but I'm not sure where. If I recall I'll come back with info.

I didn't find the other mould but I did find this swaging pellets instead of casting them http://www.bulletswage.com/pellets.htm

A swaged pellet will be more uniform and easier than cast but, it will also be softer than cast lead. Given the equipment I think I'd opt to swage and avoid lead fumes and fuel use melting lead in the first place.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A swaged pellet will be more uniform and easier than cast but, it will also be softer than cast lead. Given the equipment I think I'd opt to swage and avoid lead fumes and fuel use melting lead in the first place.

Why is a swaged pellet softer? I find freshly cast lead softer than stuff that's been sitting around for a few months. I also gather if you correctly melt lead (i.e. don't heat it too much) it shouldn't give off fumes (although don't hold me to anything!).

The cast mould looks appealing as it's more 'self sufficient'. I wonder how the pellets would perform in my air rifle compared to the ones it seems to favour?

Trotsky

Why is a swaged pellet softer? I find freshly cast lead softer than stuff that's been sitting around for a few months. I also gather if you correctly melt lead (i.e. don't heat it too much) it shouldn't give off fumes (although don't hold me to anything!).

The cast mould looks appealing as it's more 'self sufficient'. I wonder how the pellets would perform in my air rifle compared to the ones it seems to favour?

Mostly basing it on what I've been told about the difference between cast lead and swaged lead bullets used by folks with big black powder guns. Swaged should still be more uniform however as you're less likely to get voids, it's a mighty small hole in the top of a .177 mould for the air to all escape when you pour that hot lead. If you do a google search you'll find someone has produced an instructable on making your own mould using a pair of pliers. I think a FAC rated rifle would be better with home made pellets than a normal 12ftlb rifle, it would let you cast heavier "pile driver" pellets rather than piddling around with lighter pellets and the extra power would still kick a thicker skirt out to engage the rifling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE