Pancakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is what I do. Usual plan is to pull 6-8 recipes off the cooking sites on the internet and come up with a new recipe basic and common to all the others = mine.

3C all purpose flour (_you_ are in charge of the rise, not the flour company.)
1C Bob'd Red Mill Buckwheat flour.
2 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
6 tsp baking powder

2C milk + 2 C dry, mix and cook in a greased pan.
Add 1 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs and 2 tbs cooking oil if you need to.

If I have it, I like to add apple sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, that's totally different from mine.
I don't add salt, or vanilla, and I add a lot more sugar and sometimes fresh yogurt

To one egg (this is the basic, I multiply up accordingly)
I add SR flour (either wheat or Dove's Farm GF)....ehm maybe a mug (just the ones in the house, no specific measurement) and a half full. It's a by guess and by eye kind of measuring are pancakes....and a third of that in sugar. Two level Tspfls of baking powder and two mugs of milk. If I have time and inclination I'll add in a couple of tablespoonsful of melted butter, usually I don't.
If I have fresh yogurt I'll use some of that instead of all milk.....this also works if there are no eggs available.
Put it into a baking bowl and use a good whisk. Beat until it's smooth and creamy and full of bubbles.
Medium hot girdle (4 on an electric ring) wipe it with oil and I get three serving spoonfuls at a time on the girdle.
When the bubbles start to look like they're thinking of staying, flip it over. I lay them out on a clean teatowel, cover them with another and keep going until the bowl's empty.

I tried chocolate chips, they didn't like them. I have added fruits and they looked at me all sad and disappointed. Spiced ones didn't go down well either.
They like their pancakes plain, and they add whatever they like to them.
I have cooked them at camp and they disappeared off the cooling rack as fast as I could make them (the big girdle does seven at a time) to be munched with tea and coffee, and bacon :rolleyes:

30619118550_dc5a028bca_z.jpg

30884268756_a87cc1e086_z.jpg

If I'm making crepes I'll just thin the batter out a bit more so that it can be swirled out in a frying pan, release the edges of the crepe, flick your wrist and the pancake goes up into the air, and comes back down on the other side to finish cooking :)
Those get eaten with fresh lemon and a tiny sprinkle of sugar.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a "griddle." To me, a "girdle" is a feminine undergarment needed after too many pancakes.

Interesting to see how different your recipe is. Not unexpected though.
Mine is the simple western "flap-jack" type of cowboy pancakes.

In either case, leave the condiments to the consumer. Seems to be the best route.

I've got 7-8 crepes recipes, depends on what you want in them.
Orange crepes with an orange liqueur sauce sit well with guests.
"What's a little Gran Marnier among friends, what?"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A griddle to me is the ridged cast iron piece that one cooks meat on. While a girdle is the flat plate of cast iron one bakes on.

http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/1481-girdle-bread.html

Crepes for everyday just get lemon and sugar, but for a pudding I might make up an orange cream cheese filling and a spiced orange caramel sauce to drizzle over the the top.

Generally the only booze I use in food is brandy in the Christmas cake, the mincemeat and the spiced preserved peaches and plums, or ale in bread or occasionally batter.

I think I'm a rather domestic kind of cook :redface2:

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A griddle to me is the ridged cast iron piece that one cooks meat on. While a girdle is the flat plate of cast iron one bakes on.....

Here the ridged one is called either a grill (after the true steel grill over coals that it's imitating) or a griddle (as is the flat one when used on the stove top) If used in the oven for baking (almost never used that way) it would be more likely still be called a griddle or possibly referred to as a baking sheet (after the proper baking sheet it's used in place of)

A griddle is also properly the large appliance with a steel cooking surface over a gas flame (used in diners, short order restaurants and open permanent camps (these are also called "flat-tops")

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I seldom follow fixed receipes and measurements, but this is what we do, for 2 hungry people, as the solo dish.

3 large eggs
About 2.5 dl wheat flour
Three pinches salt
Three pinches sugar
About 0.6 to 0.7 l full fat milk
Melted butter

Mix. If you like my wife prefer thin crepes, runnier. If like me prefer thicker crepes, thicker batter.

For savoury Swedish oven pancake omit sugar, cube bacon, mix, pour in oven dish.

For sweet oven pancake, include sugar, plus you can mix in berries ( I prefer fruit separately)

Pancakes:
Mix a bit of yeast, let it work.

Flour? White unbleached wheat, or wheat plus something else, but not rice or corn flour.
Buckwheat, rye, spelt, barley, oat.
About 75 % wheat, the rest the other.

I strongly dislike whole grain flours both in pasta or crepes/pancakes, but love it in bread.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like Toddy, I don't add salt or vanilla. Rarely would I add sugar normally. My preference is for buttermilk pancakes over the sweetmilk (regular full fat milk) in RV's recipe but that calls for the addition of baking soda as well as the baking powder. If I have starter available I'll make sourdough pancakes instead of either.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of baking pancakes though.

Me, James, and Carson had buttermilk pancakes at Cracker Barrel restaurant after Church this morning (it was actually lunchtime by then but we wanted breakfast) James had ordered the Smokehouse Breakfast (2 eggss cooked to order, grits, buttermilk biscuits with sawmill gravy, and smoked bacon or sausage) The reason he got pancakes was that Carson was unable to finish his; they were a pair of full sized adult pancakes (about 8 or 9 inches each)

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Now, the topping, I have a set procedure:
First one ( hot pancake) Nutella
Second one: strawberry compotte and greek youghurt
Third one: ground cinnamon and demerara sugar
No4: lemon curd or lemon marmalade
5: mango jam

I usually drink diluted youghurt to them.

Savoury oven pancake : Lingonberry sauce.
Sweet oven pancake: fruits, in small pieces.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Toddy. All that flat cast iron here is griddle except maybe a tortilla pan.

I like a wet, syrup sort of thing. Birch syrup is dark with the campfire smokiness that stirs your imagination.

Fireweed is a pioneer species up our mountainsides for many years after wild fires. Epilobium angustifolium.
The syrup made from the flowers tastes like grapes! Good lady to know.

My grapes make good syrup and jelly, too.

AuntJemima burnt sugar syrup is poor.

Home canned pears with vanilla bean in white grape juice. That's the drink of champions.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Weird you guys use the Epilobium! It is called Rallarros in Swedish. Means ’the rose of the railway navvy’, the same guys that made the salt/smoked pork and rye flour/bread food!!!

Flowers are great for tea, roasted roots are a tasty erzats coffee.

First plant to grow on disturbed soil, like the railway banks.

Aunt Jemima = erzats male syrup. I have been thinking when the PC sensitive public will demand a label change!

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Aunt Jemima = erzats male syrup. I have been thinking when the PC sensitive public will demand a label change!
They did, and it was. Decades ago. Aunt Jemima doesn't look anything like she used to. The old Aunt Jemima was a dead ringer for one of my babysitters when I was a kid.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Still looks pre 1865 ethnic to me, if you get my drift..

I need to go and have a peek tomorrow to the supermarket.

I like Maple syrup, US ot Canadian. The thick dark one. I drizzlr it over vanilla icecream.

Edit: googled A. Jemima old logo vs new.
In fact she looks like a Motown singer now!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....A. Jemima old logo vs new.
In fact she looks like a Motown singer now!
Now you see the difference. I grew up with the older racial image on the label. That said, I never saw the actual label (just tv advertisements) because we didn't use it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Cast iron griddles here are also known as a Welsh bakestones.

For pancakes, I use this recipe... (Delia Smith's which seem to have memorised over the years)

2 eggs
4 oz plain flour
10 fl oz of milk (usually use slightly less and add few oz of water)
Salt
Butter, butter and some more butter.

Toppings usually either maple syrup or sugar and lemon juice.

Also tried the ripe banana mashed with whisked egg pancakes and were pretty good. Not as good, but acceptable.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I manage a frying pan for crepes, but I make a mess of pancakes in it. The girdle's flat, excellent for all kinds of flatbreads, from tortillas to naan, oatcakes to tattie scones and bannocks.
Here the ridged one is called either a grill (after the true steel grill over coals that it's imitating) or a griddle (as is the flat one when used on the stove top) If used in the oven for baking (almost never used that way) it would be more likely still be called a griddle or possibly referred to as a baking sheet (after the proper baking sheet it's used in place of)

A griddle is also properly the large appliance with a steel cooking surface over a gas flame (used in diners, short order restaurants and open permanent camps (these are also called "flat-tops")

The grill is the thing we make toast under, I think you might call it a broiler ?
We cook under the grill, not on top of it.....that's just barbecuing.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To save space in my overladen kitchen I do my pancakes in the same pan as Crepes, then just cut them in half.
I only have one well seasoned pan, the other is not yet sticky free. I use that one on Animalia except fish.
Fish I do in a Teflon pan, as I do them im lots of butter/oil at a lower temperature.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Outdoor grilling in any sort of "BBQ" is quick cooking on some sort of a wire rack. Gas, electric, charcoal.
So, to "grill" something, the heat comes from below.
BBQ takes hours with rubs and/or wet mops, fruit-wood smoke and relatively low (275F) temps.
For the desired tenderizing, not a technique that can be rushed at all. My standard do-all is 3 hours.

Who was the fool that claimed we all spoke the same language? Rubbish.

Old timer: pancakes in a frying pan has worked well for centuries. I have 2 x 14" pans as proof of concept.
I bought a griddle which spans 2 elements on my stove. It offers very little in the way of extra cooking space.
Kitchen-Aid brand, it was bigger than others, 6 kg, brand new and $25.00. Regular new price: $ 160.00.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE