Pakayak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ref the joints i'm guessing they couldn't fit a flexible seal due to the Seawater shredding it. I'd be really interested in testing one out.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No reason they shouldn't hold up very well if quality materials are used though. If you think of it in comparison to an inflatable kayak then it should be at least as robust
and probably much longer lived

Maybe not best suited to jumping off wiers and such but for more gentle paddling about it looks great

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Looks pretty cool, i just spent a good 30 minutes exploring all they have shared, one thing that gets me though is price and weight (55lbs min), the flat pack or pakayak market is heaving right now with options and most are a lot cheaper than this and way lighter (by more than half) and smaller packing down which are already in production by reputable companies with a solid history (thinking of customer service/warranty in future etc). So thinking all that i dunno if i had best part of 2000 dollars to spend on a packable kayak or canoe that it would get spent on one of these, i'd certainly give them a look but i don't think it would get in my top 3 products of choice in that market due to price, weight and size of the item once packed down

Reactions: Toddy

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
First flat pack kayak i'v seen bod, didn't even know there was such a thing

You and that 'bushcraft girl' got me wanting an inflatable SUP ages ago. Not got one but still have a hankering

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've currently only got internet on my phone but once pc is working again I'll post a load of links, some flat pack like IKEA made then and weigh like 10kg and others fold like accordions and are near see through and again weigh next to nowt

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've currently only got internet on my phone but once of is working again I'll post a load of links, some flat pack like IKEA made then and weigh like 10kg and others fold like accordions and are near see through and again weigh next to nowt

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Soon as my PC is back online I'll dig out the ones I've seen, one is a very well known Norwegian brand but I am totally brain farting on the name right now, Lars Monsen Norwegian bushcrafter adventure guy uses one, he has vids on YouTube

[video=youtube_share;y9lxYBIviqg]https://youtu.be/y9lxYBIviqg[/video]

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Lars is genuinely one of the people who inspired me to ignore everyone who was telling me I would die and just get out in nature and see how my life experiences and instincts respond, and to take cameras and try and capture a natural honest picture of it all for better or worse, he has done other videos since then in Alaska and Canada but back before my first big trip he only had the single 3 +hrs video

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That orukayak thing would literally fit folded into a small rucsack

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
No wonder that pakayak is so heavy, with joints across the boat like that, they had to make it very thick, out of a soft (but heavy) material. I think their design is a bit flawed from the start - or maybe it is an ok design for people who need something that packs away into a car, not back-packable.

Klepper have been making folding kayaks for over a hundred years. They have been used to cross the Atlantic. 22kg for a single kayak

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I agree. Klepper is the brand to go for. If something breaks on them it can be easily replaced. also lots of useful accessories.
I hadn't thought of that but it is a really good point. A make that has been around for such a long time will be much easier to source spares and repair.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Still. Nothing beats one of these to lug around loads of stuff......including dogs

Screenshot_20171209-081130.png

Screenshot_20171209-081240.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE