Paddle strop board wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What aspect of that can you not make yourself? I think lots of people could help, but the time needed to mess around posting it to you would be greater than the effort needed to make it, and it seems that posting rocks back in trade would be even more costly and time consuming for you than figuring out how to make something suitable.

I know I would rather encourage you to make it yourself than simply send you one. Is there a particular reason you need the flat strop and the round one in one package? I have used a loose piece of leather that I can alternately wrap around a dowel or piece of plumbing pipe, or lay flat on any old surface.

Reactions: ScottE and Macaroon

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
I wanted an all in one strop for carving knives and crooks that I could take out with me when going camping or just day hiking.
Understand ?
Postage is postage, two ways, everyone happy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Use a paint-stirring paddle stick. Doesn't weigh as much as a leg off one of your kitchen chairs.
Find a junk piece of 3/4" aluminum tubing for a mandrel. I cut up Mother's lawn chair after she died.
Everything in one hand might be clumsy and you don't need that.
3M wet&dry fine automotive finishing sand papers weigh next to nothing to pack several grits along.

All the time that you putz around with this, stay on the lookout for a piece of slate that you can shape.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I wanted an all in one strop for carving knives and crooks that I could take out with me when going camping or just day hiking.
Understand ?
Postage is postage, two ways, everyone happy.

You should have said.

Don't think I'd bother, bloke seems to have an attitude problem toward people who offer genuine help when he hasn't described his needs properly.

A piece of dowel with wet and dry fine grades will be an easier tool to use than the edge of a paddle strop.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I don't think a rounded edge on a flat board would work on the inside of a hook knife. the tip might contact the flat board. I saw someone gaffer taping wet and dry to boards/rounds and then wrapping it around. Put lecky bands to hold and just tear off flat bit that's worn to reveal fresh surface. to be honest (and the sharpening police will probably arrest me) I just strop the outside of the hook and that's good enough for me. Might not suit everyone.

Reactions: ScottE

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
You should have said.

Don't think I'd bother, bloke seems to have an attitude problem toward people who offer genuine help when he hasn't described his needs properly.

A piece of dowel with wet and dry fine grades will be an easier tool to use than the edge of a paddle strop.
Sorry nice65 I don't understand your post?
I thought the linked picture explained my needs adequately?
thanks for all the replies......

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So it does, but it's not a picture.I got redirected to another redirect, then to a website, and then gave up. I'd say either explain exactly what you're looking for or direct link to the site. Can't really expect people to fall over themselves to help by getting them jumping through hoops or offering good advice only for you to be cheeky back. Go to your local joiner and just ask for an offcut that can be run through a moulding machine or router. Maybe he'd like some rocks too.:D

Good luck.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
So it does, but it's not a picture.I got redirected to another redirect, then to a website, and then gave up. I'd say either explain exactly what you're looking for or direct link to the site. Can't really expect people to fall over themselves to help by getting them jumping through hoops or offering good advice only for you to be cheeky back. Go to your local joiner and just ask for an offcut that can be run through a moulding machine or router. Maybe he'd like some rocks too.:D

Good luck.

Shame as my post/request seemed reasonable to me, my hope was that a carpenter type guy had just what I needed and was living in a flint poor area....two happy bushcrafters!
There's really no need to assume I have an attitude problem, is there?
Apologies for the link, I'm not terribly web savvy as I prefer time outdoors....

Reactions: Toddy and Nice65

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got more than 2 dozen crooked knives in the Pacific Northwest Native style.
All of them including the farrier's blades, have inside bevels.
Any mandrel, say 1" and smaller, will do just fine with fine sandpaper wrapping.
There's little risk of banging up the pointed tips.

All the farrier's blades came with a scorp-like hooked tip for cleaning the hoof frogs.
I opened them with a 7/16" chainsaw file which then is the perfect mandrel.

If you're ever faint and buy a Stubai 7/75 carver's adze,. the bevel really is on the inside and crooked 2 ways.
The best mandrel is a tennis ball.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Cheers RV, I have been using dowels, tubes of carbon (left over from rod repairs!) to good effect, also ....can't remember where I've seen it but a ceramic sharpening rod with a leather tube sewn to fit it looked a great idea....ceramic and strop, good combo?

Just fancied trying a paddle strop as a one tool sharpening kit for outings.

Reactions: Robson Valley

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Glad you have found something or someone to help you out. Personally I would not want to carry a strop that size around with me when out and about, it looks more like the sort of thing I would enjoy sitting in a workshop, but it might work for you and how you work. Each to his own and all that.

The problem with short, explicit requests or "I want" posts is that unless you have actually met a lot of the other members in person, they can't tell whether the poster is a very competent person who is economical with their words, or whether they are a newbie who just wants something they saw a picture of because they think it will solve all their problems. Across multiple forums one tends to see more of the latter than the former. So people ask for more info, they make suggestions of alternatives, and they question whether the poster really knows what they want and why they want it. It doesn't usually take much more effort to add enough extra information at the start to nip most of the questions in the bud.

"Can anyone make a board like this XXXX 10" long, 6" handle, 40mm wide, 8mm thick, any hardwood? I want a knife/gouge combi strop that I can carry when out. I have tried separate dowels and don't like them/haven't got on/really don't like having two things to carry. I know I could whittle something, but I would really like a perfectly flat, straight and rounded finish and don't have enough tools/materials/work space to do it myself. Thanks."

You might still get some questions, but the fact that you took a bit more time and effort to explain what you want and why you want it will not go unnoticed either.

Best of luck!

Chris

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Paddlestrop?

Adlestrop
By Edward Thomas
Yes. I remember Adlestrop—
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June.

The steam hissed. Someone cleared his throat.
No one left and no one came
On the bare platform. What I saw
Was Adlestrop—only the name

And willows, willow-herb, and grass,
And meadowsweet, and haycocks dry,
No whit less still and lonely fair
Than the high cloudlets in the sky.

And for that minute a blackbird sang
Close by, and round him, mistier,
Farther and farther, all the birds
Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE