Our New Home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
For the over 20 years after my first visit to Ireland I have always wanted to live there, and the plan was to do that when I retired, which is still a long way off. A couple of years ago few things occurred that made me re-evaluate my life and after discussing it with the family, we put our house in Leeds up for sale. We wanted a house with a bit of land so that we could start a bit of "The Good Life". It took over 2 years to sell, but we moved to Killala, Co. Mayo last December, found a house and had our offer excepted at the end of January. After 5 long months we got the keys to this, at the beginning of July.

July 22...001 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09453 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09456 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09457 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

It needs complete renovation inside and we will add an extention to fit a separate kitchen and bathroom upstairs, but it sits on an acre which consists of usable out buildings, the ruined original cottage, overgrown garden and a third of it is wooded.

I made a start on getting the lawn under control yesterday, but the weather today is WET so I'll have to wait until next weekend to finish it.

July 25..001 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

July 25..002 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

So instead of the garden, I took the opportunity to fit an extra front door lock, but as the house doesn't have electricity it was dull inside and I need a head torch to see what I was doing, but I didn't have one with me. So a bit of improvising with a buff and torch and I ended up with this:

Improvised head torch by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

It did the trick.

My intention is to keep adding to the thread over the next year. We are hoping to be in it this time next year, and that is when the 'homesteading' aspect will start.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Wow what an amazing project! That's something I would love to do myself, I wish you the very best of luck and happiness.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very best of luck with it :)
It sounds like a lot of work, but with space to breathe, to do stuff, to actively be productive.

Interested to hear how you and your family get on with it too :D

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good for you!

It will be a heartbreaking, frustrating, nerve rending ride if its anything like ours.

It will also be the best thing you've ever done, we have never regretted it.

Red

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks everyone. All the family are settled in as its an area we have been visiting for years, and the youngest has to learn Irish ☺

Ride on lawn mower, hell yeah!

BR, yep, the best of times and the worst of times 😁

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As a minimum consider a mower with trailer. Better yet a mini tractor with a bucket. You will be moving a lot of stuff!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
With an acre or more you do move into needing proper tools, brush cutter, chainsaw, and hedgetrimmers in two stroke for a start!

Best new addition we have made recently is an aluminium scaffolding tower, amazing how useful that is

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
red speaks wisely.

at least one trailer, a tractor, a bucket, and as a luxury, a pair of pallet forks. Those will pay for themselves so many times over you'll regret every minute you didn't own them....tractor wise i'd say get the biggest, best condition one you can afford/fit round your house

As a farmer i'm obviously a tractor fan and have big uses for one (9hrs in the cab today) but even on a small holding the amount of jobs you can put bucket and forks to is never ending. Esp is theres building work to do as well. Lifting a full pallet of slate at a time to the top of the scaffold is awsome
And scooping out holes in the ground 5 ton at a time never gets boring :D

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one mate! We did similar and it's stressful at times but the place really feels your own and it's the best thing we've ever done! The best of luck with it all! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm going to be revisiting this thread.

Alot.

Well done - little slice of heaven ,make the most of it!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just looking at the phots you sent me Badger , do you have an anticipated cost for internal renovation or not? I'll be over to Ireland within the next 4 weeks so will be having a mooch around myself.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Super opportunity but I would be cautious about burdening myself with a lot of powered gear that needs maintenance, fuel etc. If you wanted a quick start I can see rotovating your veg area. for example, but simple mechanical devices like a wheel hoe that you push can cultivate it. Planting an orchard and fruit bushes would take priority for me over buying a mower. Moveable chicken arks with fencing will take care of clearing a lot of ground as well even if you don't want to get into pigs that will do the job better. Or, plan a 3D "farm" from the word go. See Permaculture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN5bSxx6hlI

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Any investment in machinery is way of or none existent, it just appealed to the plant op inside me. It was getting the lawn sensible after 5 months of neglect that machinery appealed. The cultivation wont start until the extension and renovations are completed, which we plan on this time next year. The first step was to get chickens and then see how it goes. I need to clear some of the trees and see what we have as I too would like some fruit trees.

Yes Teedee I do; it should get a bit firmed up when we get the house plans sorted this week and I'll let you know by PM. Where in Ireland are you visiting, because if you are my way I can give you a tour.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Welcome Sir :)

get used to the rain mate, we get LOTS of it over here :)

It looks a fantastic place and a great project....Health to enjoy :)

Thanks Robbi, I've returned to the land of my forebears, my Nana and Grandad were both from Mayo.

I'm well aware of the rain, I have to walk the dog every day :(

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have a shave you scruffy sod.
I guess that's why I haven't seen you around for a while.
Hope you get settled and everything works out for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE