Oiled wood and epoxy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
is the surface to be epoxied actually oiled? If so, does the oil stay wet or does it cure?

If the area isn't oiled or the oil has cured, then the epoxy shouldn't have any problem, though I would suggest wiping with acetone/alcohol anyway to degrease it. If it is actually an oily surface, you can try wiping with degreaser repeatedly, to remove the oil from near the surface ( better still, lay a rag along the channel and wet it with acetone, so it stays in contact to dissolve the oil). Otherwise good keying is the answer; not just scratches, but actual undercut/angled holes to act as rods of epoxy to pin the thing in place.

Reactions: vestlenning

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Tried heating the outside of the stock with a hair dryer, oil showed up on the surface. Don't know if oil has been applied to the inletting directly but the previous owner did 10 coats so I would guess oil has reached most of the wood.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it's not likely that oil will soak more than a couple of mm into any type of wood, especially not something that is dense enough to use for a stock. It's more likely that oil will seep around the edges and into any gaps/cracks when doing the rest of it. Try the degreasing with a rag soak and stick it together. Worst case scenario is that it comes loose and you have to do it again I guess ;)

Reactions: vestlenning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE