not cooking, but jerky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Hoping I'm posting this on the most suitable thread... Was just wondering if anyone knows if lamb can be made into jerky? If yes, is it just the lean parts of the meat or can the more fatty bits work too (shoulder etc)?

thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It doesn’t make good jerky or biltong. It’s too fatty, and the fat is prone to become rancid.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've made Lamb Jerky, I used very lean cuts. There's little chance of it going rancid as it tastes so good it will all be eaten within days.

Well, there you go. I’d read a bit about biltong, and lamb not being suitable. I’m just mixing my spices for the latest batch of top rump to go in the box, and you’re dead right, it doesn’t hang around for long.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Jerky, and other dried processes, can be made with any meat.
It is the most ancient of food preservation methods.
Insects, fish, shellfish, mammals, snakes, - you catch it, you can dry it!

Imo dried fish tastes better than fresh fish.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
First Nations here in the Pacific Northwest have done mariculture for thousands of years.
Every little cove along the seacoast has many stone weirs that get filled in with sand.
Clams, mussels and oysters are on the menu, just don't take too much from anybody's traditional territory.
They get shucked and strung on long cords like a necklace to dry in the smoke houses.
The dried mussels are like bullets, you suck on them like hard candies.
There are even some freshwater clam beds in really clean creeks in the interior.

Everybody should practice food drying in their own kitchen with the oven.
Sliced and dried strawberries are deadly treats. Just deadly.

If you can read this, you can research mixes for cures, seasonings and marinades.
I need smoke or meats don't taste right. Any wood from any edible fruit trees is good.
HiMountain uses some smoked ingredients (smoked salt?) so that works OK.

Reactions: boubindica

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Hailing from the culinary Mecca, the former Austro Hungary, I am myself VERY partial to properly wood smoked meat.

Properly hot smoked meat (brined first) I would say is the proto- Jerk.
Anybody can smoke meat. Brine, smoke. No need for a dedicated smoker, a standard BBQ is fine.
All you need is time.
My hot smoke sessions take at least 14 hours.
Plus the brining - between 24 and 4 days.

Smoked lamb is delicious.

If you plan to Jerk lamb, I would suggest strips of meat. Marinate in Rosemary and Garlic, salt.
Dry heat.

Smoking lamb - brine, but add garlic, pepper and rosemary to the brining.

Lamb and mutton are lovely meats.

Reactions: boubindica

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Except for the Breville smoke gun, all this stuff is repurposed junk that cost next to nothing.
What I get are fabulous feeds of really cheap/tough meats with most fat rendered out of them.

Butterfly the leg of lamb. The marinade has rye whiskey and honey in it.
I'd rather do a long cold smoke (35C) and maybe a final hot smoke with oats.
Small cast iron skillets/frying pans are my smoker friends.

I have a Breville smoke gun that I can use in the kitchen but I don't think Id like smoked breads.

Might swipe a dead fridge from the dump and gut it for a smoke house.
I have a 1-element electric cooker for heat.

My ugly junk smoker BBQ is a 2-burner gasser that cost me $20 in a yard sale.
The key feature is a smooth-turning valve block unit. If that is really stiff, walk on.

The loaded wood pan sits right on the left hand hot burner. Apple is a best-seller.
All the meats are stacked up on the unlit right side racks. Extra thermometer in the cold end.
Light, set to low and walk away. Temp crawls up to 275F. T+30 mins, the wood smolders big smoke.
T+60 minutes, wood is ash. Set the table, have a slurp. T+3 hours and we eat.

That's even for small chickens. Fish, like sockeye fillets, put them in on foil when the wood smokes
and on the table at T+60. About 30 minutes cook time.

I think one of this summer's projects will be to find some good seasoning mixes and
get some excellent results with various sea foods.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

You can keep it mate. :lmao:

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Except for the Breville smoke gun, all this stuff is repurposed junk that cost next to nothing.
What I get are fabulous feeds of really cheap/tough meats with most fat rendered out of them.

Butterfly the leg of lamb. The marinade has rye whiskey and honey in it.
I'd rather do a long cold smoke (35C) and maybe a final hot smoke with oats.
Small cast iron skillets/frying pans are my smoker friends.

I have a Breville smoke gun that I can use in the kitchen but I don't think Id like smoked breads.

Might swipe a dead fridge from the dump and gut it for a smoke house.
I have a 1-element electric cooker for heat.

My ugly junk smoker BBQ is a 2-burner gasser that cost me $20 in a yard sale.
The key feature is a smooth-turning valve block unit. If that is really stiff, walk on.

The loaded wood pan sits right on the left hand hot burner. Apple is a best-seller.
All the meats are stacked up on the unlit right side racks. Extra thermometer in the cold end.
Light, set to low and walk away. Temp crawls up to 275F. T+30 mins, the wood smolders big smoke.
T+60 minutes, wood is ash. Set the table, have a slurp. T+3 hours and we eat.

That's even for small chickens. Fish, like sockeye fillets, put them in on foil when the wood smokes
and on the table at T+60. About 30 minutes cook time.

I think one of this summer's projects will be to find some good seasoning mixes and
get some excellent results with various sea foods.

4_A5_B6037-_F618-42_DF-8193-092931910_FEF.jpg

Not my set up, but excellent recycling. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have seen that picture. Funny as Hello until you look carefully. Brilliant adaptation.
By the load, I think they are expecting company for tea. Yes?
Nothing quite like smoker-cooked potatoes.
I want one. The mesh drawer floors were very clear thinking.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
That sounds bloomin yummy Janne... I'm going to need a bigger fridge for that. Info i will keep for later. The reason i was asking about making jerky was because i was looking at ways to preserve some lamb which may be bought before getting to Bushmoot... if enough people don't want to come in on buying a whole or half lamb, we're going to need a way to preserve it whilst in the woods (no fridge)... But i will definately be saving that url. Thanks :)

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London

Bombay Duck was banned from Indian restaurants in the UK... i don't know why, and i miss it flaked atop a curry as the taste is absolutely fabulous. I'm with you on that :drool:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You can get the dry cod in UK.
Just make sure you do not buy the salted dry cod, but dry only.
Vastly different taste!
I do not know the taste of Bombay Duck (Mumbay Duck? :). )
but it should be similar to dry cod.

Also, what about dried Bonito flakes?
Used in Japanese cuisine together with dried seaweed ( Kombu) to make Dashi. Which is a kind of soup/sauce.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
You can get the dry cod in UK.
Just make sure you do not buy the salted dry cod, but dry only.
Vastly different taste!
I do not know the taste of Bombay Duck (Mumbay Duck? :). )
but it should be similar to dry cod.

Also, what about dried Bonito flakes?
Used in Japanese cuisine together with dried seaweed ( Kombu) to make Dashi. Which is a kind of soup/sauce.
Can't eat cod unfortunately... the "Mumbay" Duck is way more potent than any white fish... it's almost on a par with marmite... not as salty but pungent in the extreme... like a fantastically over-ripe cheese. TBH, i'm not sure what fish it was they used to make it... I'm going to google it, see if i can find out.

Mmmm, dried seaweed... now we talkin' :drool:

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I googled. Weird fish!
Salted and dried. You can maybe get salted and dried Mackerel in an ‘ethnic’ shop in UK.
Those smell.

Doing the leg of lamb is easy, lots of people do it in northern Norway, but the ones I know use slightly older lamb than you can buy in UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE