No "charcloth" Flint & Steel Fire Lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
He does make a few very good points. I have often thought that if I was to be in a "historical" setting, would I not have my fire going 24 /7 even if it was allowed to go down to a handful of embers ( before first brew of the day!). Say, a bodger working a wood for 3 months? I would also suggest that at any one moment in time 10 different folk/places/social standing would have 10 different methods.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I enjoyed this on your Youtube before, i think i might be onto something about time of posting your threads, middle of the night in Uk right now

He does make a few very good points. I have often thought that if I was to be in a "historical" setting, would I not have my fire going 24 /7 even if it was allowed to go down to a handful of embers ( before first brew of the day!). Say, a bodger working a wood for 3 months? I would also suggest that at any one moment in time 10 different folk/places/social standing would have 10 different methods.
Only a few good points!? Over 60 years experience & all that research & experimental archaeology, just a few good points. That is truly depressing Hammock_man. Still, one can't please everyone I guess no matter how hard one tries.
Keith.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
You do put across good points, you come across well thought out and knowledgeable with a great tone which is easy to listen too.

The only really really minor point for me on the video is not even content based so perhaps even of no consequence.... And its simply, please angle that camera up just a touch so I can properly see you.

However, I think the comments here to Hammock_man are unwarrented and a little overly sensitive... Not befitting of the classy well thought out man I just saw in the video.

Keep sharing that knowledge, I can tell it means a lot to you and that is only ever a good thing.

You do put across good points, you come across well thought out and knowledgeable with a great tone which is easy to listen too.

The only really really minor point for me on the video is not even content based so perhaps even of no consequence.... And its simply, please angle that camera up just a touch so I can properly see you.

However, I think the comments here to Hammock_man are unwarrented and a little overly sensitive... Not befitting of the classy well thought out man I just saw in the video.

Keep sharing that knowledge, I can tell it means a lot to you and that is only ever a good thing.

That video was taken with little room to move & I was using my old camera. It was a matter of seeing me, or seeing what I was doing. The video was not about me.
As far as my reply to Hammock Man are concerned, although it was a tongue in cheek comment, I think it was well deserved.
Keith.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I would say 4-5 points is a few... they are good ones true but I had already said that.
I use old Jeans for my char cloth, I can get a pair of jeans for £2.50.
This is 20 minutes at minimum wage!!!! In my world getting good plant tinder takes more then 20 minutes.

That A pair of linen pants 200-300 years ago would cost very much more than 20 minutes of labour, that is very true.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE