New British fungi foraging book in the pipeline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
You heard it here first...

The book will be published by a young and ambitious company currently making some of the classiest out-doorsy books around. They are called Wild Things Publishing and their mission is to "create inspiring books (and apps) that get people out, experiencing and enjoying nature, and our wonderful, often local, world.… back to where the Wild Things are" http://www.wildthingspublishing.com. Words and photography by yours truly. :)

The book has a working title of "The Mushroom Forager" and will come out in July next year. In 300-ish pages it will mention every known edible species in lowland Britain, all the toxic species/groups and few other bits and pieces. It will contain detailed information and high quality colour photos of around 200 of the most important species - well over twice as many as the most comprehensive existing book on this topic (John Wright's river cottage handbook).

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is good news! I really look forward to seeing this in print; well done indeed :)

I've just had a look at their website and they seem like good people, some interesting stuff there. I wish them and you much success!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds like such a useful book Geoff :D
Very best of luck with it, and it might be worth having a word with the Boss about it nearer publication date.
It really does sound like something that folks on here would be really interested in.

atb,
M

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Ooo! sounds interesting! look forward to having a look through.
How does it compare to Rogers?

Mine will be a completely different book to Roger Phillips. I wouldn't even think of trying to compete with the master! Phillips' book is on fungi, not fungi foraging. It covers 1,250 species, but the information on edibility is minimal and in some cases inaccurate, and it also covers hundreds of species that are no interest to a forager. My book will be about fungi foraging - at most it will cover in detail less than one fifth of the species in Phillips, but those 200-250 are the ones that are of most relevance to a forager - the best edible species, the worst toxic ones and the extremely common ones. And for those species, there will be much more information on edibility and toxicity than in Phillips. The book will also contain sections on different habitats, how to find good locations and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Looks good Geoff. I'd add that a close up of the fungi would be a good idea. My Mrs who has poor eyesight (don't say a word about her picking me!!!), would do better with a close up of the fungi in the book for better identification...otherwise...it's on point.

Also what price are you selling at?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Looks good Geoff. I'd add that a close up of the fungi would be a good idea. My Mrs who has poor eyesight (don't say a word about her picking me!!!), would do better with a close up of the fungi in the book for better identification...otherwise...it's on point.

Also what price are you selling at?

The photos should be a good size and the aim is to show them in sufficient detail to allow identification. I can't tell you the exact dimensions...that is the job of the designers employed by the publisher. My eyesight isn't that brilliant these days either...

Price hasn't been decided yet, but probably about £18

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Geoff: While I feel that I'm half a world away, please make a big splash about the publication date.
I have family in NYorks and this would be a definitive work for their activities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE