Need a new axe to play with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Hi folks, I'm after a new axe, a carving axe to be precise.
I've recently set up a wood yard and have an axe for general use, trimming bits off trees so they fit through the saw mill and whatnot, but I find myself wanting to have a go at a bit of carving. The axe I use has a broad head and it will either deflect or just dig in, so I'm looking for something I can carve with.
Should I be looking at a side axe? What can you recommend?
Even if I can just find a head, I have some bits of ash I split up yesterday that would be perfect for handles.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I have a Robin Wood carving axe which is perfect for the job. I am delighted with it, quite inexpensive too. I'm taking it on a carving masterclass with RM in a couple of weeks. Hope to get his feedback too.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I can vouch for the Robin Wood axe as well. It was a good price and was supplied with and holds a good edge but no mask (made one myself). It is very nice to use in green wood, but I have a GB carpenter’s axe for seasoned wood (bowyery etc). The two are quite different so be sure what use you want for the axe you need.

Cheers, Bob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You should take a look at wood carver's adzes. There's a variety of makers out there.
The "gutter" blade sweep will be a good cutter and you've got the makings of a bowl adze if you ever go that way.

I use a full size Stubai, it's about a 7/75 sweep. Very good for the first shaping of a block.
I have a D-adze, Sitka and Baby Sitka from Kestrel Tool that I built up from the blades.
Their versatility is such that with much more practice, I can texture surfaces with them.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
There's a lot of axes that can be re-sharpened to make them into carving axes. The old Kent pattern ones are great and can be picked up for a song. Few axes are ready for carving when you get them - I.e. razor sharp with long straight bevels. Most of those are quite pricey like the GB ones. Robin's axe is probably the best value for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time or money, but wants to try carving.
Here's a link: https://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/the-robin-wood-axe/

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Adamson, as said above you can find small Kent pattern axes at carboots if you are lucky
MLtqHod.jpg

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Thank you for the input, I managed to get a Kent pattern Elwell axe from eBay for a tenner, should be arriving today. It needs a new handle and a clean up, what's recommend for cleaning the heads up?
I'll be putting some ash in the kiln today so in a couple weeks I'll be fitting the handle, any patterns I should look at? Or just copy the original handle?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That horn-handled clip point is a pretty little knife, Sparky415. Mind if I ask what it is? I think I can just make out 'Made In' on the stamp. :)

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Well I opened it up today and noticed the head is bent/twisted. The guy gave me a full refund and told me to keep it, I really wasn't expecting that but there we have it!

I forgot to save pictures and I've left it at the wood yard! But I will post progress pictures as I go along.

Should I just forget about the twist and do my best or is there a way to straighten it without ruining it completely?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do you see any differences in the bevels on each side which might be related to the cast of the blade?
Axe blades, to me, are more than sufficiently bash-worthy to resist that sort of cast.
Think of the force involved to bend such a blade. It couldn't have been wood.
Not even fresh birch at -30C can do that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE