Mystery damascus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Knowing Hellize the wood is likely to be salvaged from the remnants of a pirate's peg leg and charred in wyvern fire with a pommel made of auroch bone stolen from among the grave goods of a viking barrow. It's only a mystery because the blade is cursed and he's trying to palm it off onto some poor unsuspecting bushcrafter who will forever be haunted by hopping pirate ghosts.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Knowing Hellize the wood is likely to be salvaged from the remnants of a pirate's peg leg and charred in wyvern fire with a pommel made of auroch bone stolen from among the grave goods of a viking barrow. It's only a mystery because the blade is cursed and he's trying to palm it off onto some poor unsuspecting bushcrafter who will forever be haunted by hopping pirate ghosts.
:D hahahaha :D
thanks a lot for helping me out with the story! :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Aha, maybe a piece of a long sunken piece of a ship...

Can not be Viking though, not many of those sank..... excellent construction..........
I am sure the Vikings sailed along side the coast on their way to Miklagard, stopping freqvently to say Hi to the Vlach maidens waving on the shores......

:)

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Aha, maybe a piece of a long sunken piece of a ship...

Can not be Viking though, not many of those sank..... excellent construction..........
I am sure the Vikings sailed along side the coast on their way to Miklagard, stopping freqvently to say Hi to the Vlach maidens waving on the shores......

:)

Hmm... I am not really sure about all that :D But they might have included a few stops here, on their way from Kiev to Byzantium :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Hmm... I am not really sure about all that :D But they might have included a few stops here, on their way from Kiev to Byzantium :D

Kiev? No, my friend, Vikings visiting your shores came all the way from Sweden!

They did establish Novgorod as a trading post though. Rurik and his sons as the tale goes. Later his family ruled the Kievan Rus.
But originally Kiev ( and Kievan Rus ) was founded by a bunch of Eastern Slavic tribes.

Vikings all came from Scandinavia ( Sweden, Norway and Denmark) that settled areas around Scandinavia ( Iceland, Greenland, parts of UK, parts of Ireland, Normandie in France, Faeroe Islands, Eastern Finland, Novgorod. Canada even!)
Most Swedish Norse went East, Danish and Norwegian West and North West.

Once they settled outside Scandinavia they ceased to be called Norse.
A Viking is a Norse going on a business trip abroad. Business combined with pleasure, just like today!

The Norse/Vikings taking the job protecting the Sultan in the Ottoman Empire were called Varangians by the Ottomans.
Think mercenary bodyguards extraordinaire.

I hope you do not mind a short history lesson!

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Kiev? No, my friend, Vikings visiting your shores came all the way from Sweden!

They did establish Novgorod as a trading post though. Rurik and his sons as the tale goes. Later his family ruled the Kievan Rus.
But originally Kiev ( and Kievan Rus ) was founded by a bunch of Eastern Slavic tribes.

Vikings all came from Scandinavia ( Sweden, Norway and Denmark) that settled areas around Scandinavia ( Iceland, Greenland, parts of UK, parts of Ireland, Normandie in France, Faeroe Islands, Eastern Finland, Novgorod. Canada even!)
Most Swedish Norse went East, Danish and Norwegian West and North West.

Once they settled outside Scandinavia they ceased to be called Norse.
A Viking is a Norse going on a business trip abroad. Business combined with pleasure, just like today!

The Norse/Vikings taking the job protecting the Sultan in the Ottoman Empire were called Varangians by the Ottomans.
Think mercenary bodyguards extraordinaire.

I hope you do not mind a short history lesson!

Maybe, but I am pretty sure, that at that point in time Byzantium wasn't on turkish hands yet, so no they were not protecting any Sultans! They were protecting the Bizantian Emperor (east Roman emperor if you wish.)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You are correct, the christian Byzantium emperor.
I knoe a bit the Northern European history, the sounthern bit not so much.
The turks came several centuries later and took power.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
You are correct, the christian Byzantium emperor.
I knoe a bit the Northern European history, the sounthern bit not so much.
The turks came several centuries later and took power.

Well, the turkish conquest is a sweetspot for any hungarian, since that time was the most glorious in all our history, when Hungary resisted the mighty Ottoman empire, withstanding its rage and protecting Europe basically all alone, paying for it dearly with blood. Any hungarian child around here knows these stories. ;)

Actually the turks were already there at the gates of bizantium, when the first northmen arrived. Byzantium held up the turkish expansion for quite some time, for centuries actually. But gradually shrunk in size and finally it collapsed. The capital, Constantinople was taken in 1453 (and ultimately renamed Istambul 100 years ago).

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, Europe should be grateful for the brave Hungarians. It was a testing time for the whole area, the Moslems invaded Europe on many fronts, Iberian peninsula, south eastern Europe, and took many Centuries to push out, at a huge cost to life.

But, the Moslems left parts of their culture behind, specially food culture, which we should be grateful for!

My people, from the Austro Hungarian Empire, had a tricky time in the last onslaught on Wien, but got saved by the Poles (I believe)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE