Stew's Works in Progress!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've recently discovered a new forum feature here a part of the upgrade that has improved BCUK no end that I feel I can post more here.

For some time I've been pretty bad at posting pictures of any work I do. I just found that sorting out taking, hosting then uploading was a bit of a faff. Then I discovered Instagram and getting pictures up somewhere was a lot quicker and easier....snappier! The problem with that is then sharing it anywhere else.

I've been running this for a bit of a while on another forum and it's worked ok of actually posting stuff so I figured I could replicate it here.

I'm going to go back to the start of the year, as I have the stuff uploaded already. When I get up to date I'll just post as they come. Sometimes it'll be a number in quick succession or it'll be a week or more!

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Photo_27-12-2017_09_08_28_preview.jpg

To start, a good summary of last years posts!

So top row numbers 1 and 2 are an Enzo necker I handled in Carbon Fibre over thin orange G10 liners. I don't have a picture of it done and it's still waiting to be sheathed (and sold!)

Top row number 3 is where I'm setting up to make two sheaths - one for a TRC and one for an Entrek (while watching a Lego film):

The middle row 1 and bottom row 1 are a rehandling an EKA in Yew plus a new sheath:

Middle row 2 is a rehandlng of a Habalis Bushtool in Australian Goldfield Burr. That picture shows how much the wood colour changed after soaking in Danish Oil, with the unoiled part to the left.

Middle row number 3 is a James Wood blade that I had part handled some time ago, not liked the handle and then rediscovered. I started a bit of reshaping but it go put to the side aain so there is nothing more to show....yet.

Bottom row 2 is a blade I won from Barmond . It's an RWL-34 blade and I have plans for the handling but can't find the bits. As it's one I'll be keeping for my own use I want to use some o my stash of handle materials that I don't want to sell - I have some Merino horn that I would like to try use but I can only find one side at the moment! If not that then I have various bits of Desert Ironwood or Yellow Mallee Burl that are candidates.

Bottom row 3 is a picture of the wooden surfboard I made at the start of the year. I have detailed some more pictures on it's own page here: http://www.stewartjlight-knives.com/2017/12/wooden-surfboard-76-magic-carpet.html

Reactions: brancho

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Making use of the oven at the same time as the wife is the most dangerous part of knifemaking!! :D

Ah, now I wouldn't have that problem unless she decided to do some baking.

Normal day to day cooking is my province so the oven is mine to do as I please so long as good food is put in front of her :)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Stew
what sort of grinder is that you are using?, and I noticed the gorrilla glue, do you use that on the scales.?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stew
what sort of grinder is that you are using?, and I noticed the gorrilla glue, do you use that on the scales.?

I have a few grinders but I'm guessing you mean the two wheel flat bed linisher. It's a woodworking machine but it's amazingly good on metal with the right belts. Single speed (fast) and should take 50mm wife belts but I've added a raised platen for 25mm width and only use that size belts.

The gorilla glue is for surfboard / paddle board making, not knives.

Reactions: Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE