MTP Smock, water beading.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have the latest MTP smock, Smock 2, combat...., and the water beading off the surface is excellent. The fabric simply refuses to get wet.
Question is, is this due to some treatment that will eventually wear off or is it a permanent feature of the fabric?

I know that the finnish M05-uniform is 50/50 cotton/polyester. And the weave is made in such a way that most of the polyester is on the surface of the fabric making it better at shedding water and abrasion proof.
Perhaps the british smock fabric is made likewise?

Reactions: Billy-o

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
is that different than the MTP smock with the mesh inside and the fleece handwarmers?
I found that those are too thight under the arms due to the zipper, I added some tissue extra there.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The new smocks have fabric instead of the mesh, and zips on the handwarmer pockets, the fleece is also a bit lighter.

Much better than the first 2 types.

Reactions: Bazooka Joe

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
@Tonyuk,

I was over ebay, and all I could find were these soldier 95, and the first model with handwarmers and mesh inside.
would you mind to give a link or so for this 2nd model??? I can't find that model.
Thanks, Bert

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Also this walkaround. It's 100% cotton

I get confused with the various iterations of smocks and copies of them. Cameron Konkol here seems to say that this one supersedes the PCS model .. .which is sort of what I had imagined, but didn't know for a fact.

Note the mention of the smaller hood than previously standard, and overall the thing seems much simpler, no zip pockets , lighter etc

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
well, It suprises me quite a bit that the MOD does sooo many different types from one thing, since they started with the MTP they had the '95 model, the PCS, PCS MPV model, the para smock, now the PCS2 smock.... and that model in the film.

The PCS smock I loved in the beginning, I thought it was a good mod, the mesh, ventilation and so, it's a pity that the mesh can't stand the use.
it's because that the mesh clings to anything, and frays a lot where it comes into contact with hook and loop, and I really don't get why they use it on pockets (the inside Napoleon pockets) it really doesn't need much to get a hole in it and losing the contents of the pocket.
therefore I hope I can get my hands on a pair of smock 2 quickly.

Thanks!

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I guess you didn't understand me well, I dislike the mesh, though the mesh from the Tantalus project seems to be different?!
The ventilation is a good Idea, but bad executed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE