Mora Mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Smart move to prune the tips.
Can I suggest that you consider carefully sharpening the tips?
I did that to a few farrier's knives = whacked the scorp-like tips off and sharpened the tip like a tongue.
Just when you need a little "dig" here and there.

Feather that blunt tip into an edge which follows the existing profile.

That gives you a far greater range of motion to twist your wrist and/or the spoon and keep cutting at he same time.

Reactions: Jason Young

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, I did that to mine - remove the tip.
I caught myself on it a few times and it was quite a hook. Mind you, I don't think I pruned mine quite as much as you did - pretty much just blunted mine.
I also took that ridge off that runs down the back, so there was a smoother action when using.
And then I took the wooden handle off and replaced it with a bone one...

42493240241_04e3fa538d_o.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yeah, I did that to mine - remove the tip.
I caught myself on it a few times and it was quite a hook. Mind you, I don't think I pruned mine quite as much as you did - pretty much just blunted mine.
I also took that ridge off that runs down the back, so there was a smoother action when using.
And then I took the wooden handle off and replaced it with a bone one...

42493240241_04e3fa538d_o.jpg

I never use the tip on any spoon knife and have never inverted the knife to carve, i looked at my shallow curve Ben Orfords and thought they look smack on, so took a whole chunk off the tip of the Moras, they work well and less chance of people stabbing themselves.

Love the bone handle on yours.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Kestrel Tool is probably the top bladesmith in the Pacific Northwest to make crooked carving knives and both elbow and D adzes.
These are the most common carving tools used by the First Nations carvers and others, like me.
The bigger blades, the J-shapes, are far and away the most versatile for carving anything.

I can see we all are converging on a lesser curve, more alike to the PacNW shapes.
I have some double edges blades but most are revised single edges farrier's hoof knives.

I have built up a Baby Sitka elbow adze and a D adze for bigger chips.
I'm nowhere good enough striking to texture a big surface.
I have the full Sitka gutter blade on my bench right now.

http://kestreltool.com/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE