Moose hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Well it all happened suddenly , I have never been outside the country and if you told me like 20 days earlier then the flight that I was going abroad and plus hunting I would not believe ya :) The opportunity striked , my relative invited me , I sold some stuff and got money , was able to find a sponsor for the flight and boom my dream was about to come true and it did , not all the way thought , but why you have to see the video and then understand , I also did some fishing and will make a video of it soon also and post here , of course youtube is raising generation of sissies so it was marked as non advertiser friendly but still I don't care I posted it without ads because I couldn't wait more :)
please tell me if you like it !

[video=youtube;l6MrhWXFtOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MrhWXFtOk&t=25s[/video]

some pics for fun

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Congratulations. Good video. Made my mouth water just to watch.
Moose steaks? Some of the best eating on the planet.
Good sized fish, too. We call those 'pike' or 'jack-fish.'

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nice bid!
The pike are perfect portion size, maybe a bit small, but the small ones are the tastiest!
Lots of bones, but if you know where they are - no problem.
The Moose too! For a very hungry man!

I hope you saved some of the skin to make raw hide from? And the horns - wonderful material!

You are a 100% lucky guy!

Which gun and calliber was the moose shot with? Magnificent animal

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Nice one. Looks like it was harder to get the moose in the van, than it was to shot it.
Very envious, we don't have moose in the UK and they are delicious. eaten it it Sweden and Canada, Love the Tongue when its dried, make excellent jerky.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you need your imagination, just think of gutting and skinning a really big horse.
That loading scene with everybody trying to lift the whole carcass into the van is all too real.
A Sawzall is popular for quartering. More manageable size pieces after skinning.
A clean 16" chainsaw running on cheap cooking oil works well, too.
Multipurpose animal.

Big moose roast, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and lots of roasted root veg.

Moose mane is thick/hollow hairs from white to shades of gray.
2 or 3 together wrapped on a hook shank is the perfect segmented body for a mosquito.

Stuffed and roasted heart. I never get bison heart, too big for me and the cat to deal with, by ourselves.
Never thought of making jerky out of it. I maybe buy a side of bison in the next 6 weeks, think about it.
I can barter that for moose, elk and venison. No more bear. Llama never again.

I still have moose-hide mukluks with very nice beadwork down the sides. Soft as silk. LaRonge 1965.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Russia the eat boiled moose nose (snout.) Similar to what we were able to buy wintertime in Napoli in the late 60’s.

I guess they taste very similar.

Soup is nice from moose. Meat, lots of root veg, potatoes.

Also something we call ‘tjälknöl’ in Sweden. A dish invented by accident. You roast a frozen steak in very low temperature,
For a long time, then marinate it in a spiced brine.

Robson V, horse meat is nice too!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gcckoka is about to get spoiled, eating big game like moose. Me too, and I don't regret it one bit.
I'll bet those moose steaks were a real wake-up call to his taste buds!
There's no finer gravy that moose. Pheasant could be #2.

I've tried horse meat, not impressed. But since it's so lean,
very good way to start to learn how to cook game. Not like domestic animals.
What are they? Muntjac(sp?) Small deer-like game? I'd eat those in a minute.

I'll just have to put up with bison, elk, moose & venison.
Would like some mountain goat, mountain sheep and prong horn antelope, if I can find some.

Get out of the city for parts unknown. Medicine for your head.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Congratulations. Good video. Made my mouth water just to watch.
Moose steaks? Some of the best eating on the planet.
Good sized fish, too. We call those 'pike' or 'jack-fish.'

Thank you very much ! Yeah I was spoiled with all those meat , soon I will start to look like a steak :lmao:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Nice bid!
The pike are perfect portion size, maybe a bit small, but the small ones are the tastiest!
Lots of bones, but if you know where they are - no problem.
The Moose too! For a very hungry man!

I hope you saved some of the skin to make raw hide from? And the horns - wonderful material!

You are a 100% lucky guy!

Which gun and calliber was the moose shot with? Magnificent animal

Thank you very much ! Yeah at first I was mad that I didn't get anything and I traveled so much for nothing but then when I saw the meat , I was like hell yeah this is awesome ! Plus when I saw that other guys didn't even see anything thats when I thought I got pretty lucky to capture all of this on film and see it :)
I had a 12 gauge shotgun , ijh-27em, 8.5mm buckshot 9 pellets

As for the fish you are 100% right buddy ! It tastes best when it's smaller in size

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Nice one. Looks like it was harder to get the moose in the van, than it was to shot it.
Very envious, we don't have moose in the UK and they are delicious. eaten it it Sweden and Canada, Love the Tongue when its dried, make excellent jerky.

Yeah we don't have it in Georgia also , it was an amazing experience and not many Georgians have seen a moose in life im not even talking about hunting :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
fantastic what an experience, thanks for sharing :)

I was lucky enough to help some moose hunters out a few years ago, first animal i ever skinned :lmao:

Thanks ! Glad you like it !
Yeah I now regret that I didn't take the hide but there was noone to tan it , they don't tan hides there , if they need they send it to russia to tan it , over here also people don't tan it , I mean of course they tan it but only with chrome...
It had a few holes from the skinning of the trackers and 2 gunshot holes , but it also had a hole on the stomach area with rotten meat which we had to cut and throw away , seems like he got in a fight and got wounded and the wound didn't heal it was rotten.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
In Russia the eat boiled moose nose (snout.) Similar to what we were able to buy wintertime in Napoli in the late 60’s.

I guess they taste very similar.

Soup is nice from moose. Meat, lots of root veg, potatoes.

Also something we call ‘tjälknöl’ in Sweden. A dish invented by accident. You roast a frozen steak in very low temperature,
For a long time, then marinate it in a spiced brine.

Robson V, horse meat is nice too!

the first day we just fried it on sticks and cooked the liver , it was outstanding and other 5 days until my fishing trip we made different meals every day , one of the best was the meat was soaked in vinegar for 2 days , then covered with sourcream and amazing georgian sauses and spices mix , covered with foil and it goes to the oven , it was amazing , so we ate moose everyday while we were hunting in the capital for slav girls :cool:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Brilliant trip Nick!
Thanks for sharing...
The dogs look great and so did that little van...

Question...

at 54 seconds in , the video shows what looks like a wooden sculpture or a tree root on display along with the animal trophies etc. Could you please clarify to what it is? Can't make head or tail of it...
Is it just abstract or am I just bog eyed?
It looks like a tree root that just so happens to look like a goblin or some beast with some human features?
Is it a Leshy ? :)

Anyhow, great trip , it looks like you had great company and very good fun , even though you didn't get to shoot it.
Good call on the decision not to shoot, and great respect from your part for the reasons not to ...

Time to work on marksmanship bud?
So next year you can show them ...
😉

👍👍

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Isn't the proper plural of Moose, Meese?

Or am I about to be shot at dawn for making my best Snidely Whiplash impersonation.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Brilliant trip Nick!
Thanks for sharing...
The dogs look great and so did that little van...

Question...

at 54 seconds in , the video shows what looks like a wooden sculpture or a tree root on display along with the animal trophies etc. Could you please clarify to what it is? Can't make head or tail of it...
Is it just abstract or am I just bog eyed?
It looks like a tree root that just so happens to look like a goblin or some beast with some human features?
Is it a Leshy ? :)

Anyhow, great trip , it looks like you had great company and very good fun , even though you didn't get to shoot it.
Good call on the decision not to shoot, and great respect from your part for the reasons not to ...

Time to work on marksmanship bud?
So next year you can show them ...
😉

👍👍

I am a not bad marksman , I shoot quite accurate and train a lot on reloading :)
Yeah its a figure found in the woods , the place had a lot of figures like that found it in the woods some had a bit work done on them , some did non , I think it is Leshy as thats what kind of woods there are , why didn't you tell me you were in belarus ? lol

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think I read correctly that they recommended you to load with slugs?
Is that a common way to hunt moose in Belarus? Shotgun and slugs? Interesting!

In Scandinavia you have to use a rifle. The benefit is that a rifle has a far greater range. Plus does not do as much meat damage.

12 Ga and slugs are used to take out cornered, wounded boar and such.

Pike is the best fish to make quenelles from. It is like a meatball but made with fish. French. We like Fishballs in Scandiland. Made from Sea fish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE