Mitre Saw Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations from the chippies (pro and amateur) out there on the forum for a decent mitre saw.

I wish Id bought one of these years ago but the time has come when Mrs Nomad has a long enough list of jobs for me to do that I can justify getting one. Main intended use will be building sheds, woodstores etc and internal joinery and floorboards (so minimum 6" cutting width is a must have) but I would like to do be able to do some finer work as well.

As ever, I am hoping to only have to buy once and so although the budget is definitely finite (and the usual economies with the truth may have to be used with Mrs N!;)), I'm trying to find the "sweet spot" in the range between, price, specifications and quality. Double bevel would be nice but single would be OK.

The Evolution Rage range seems to tick all the boxes and are a good price but while most of the reviews are very positive, there do seem to be quite a few niggles about quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-RAGE3-Multipurpose-Sliding-Accessory/dp/B00C23UCI8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509530485&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=eviltion+rage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-RAGE3-DB-Double-Multi-Purpose-Sliding/dp/B006BRVQ9K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1509531159&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=eviltion+rage+double+bevel

£300 (ahem - £150 if Mrs N is reading this!) is more than I really want to spend but the Makita LS0714 seems to get very favourable reviews and looks to be genuine "pro" grade so out of the box accuracy should be good and the durability more than OK for my regular amateur use. The 2" max thickness is not ideal - it would be good to be able to do 4"x 4" in one go but I can live with that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001MEF87I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=NKV3L8PE1PQ2&coliid=I3AGR11J7INPF0A

Any experience or thoughts about this shortlist or any other suggestions in the £150-£250 range?

As ever, many thanks for any suggestions. :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Question. What can one of those do, that a mitre holding jig, and a beautiful old brass backed mitre saw cannot? If its only 2".......why spend all that money?

[Guess mine's a hobbyist's point of view......]

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My advice would be to go for the best you can afford. Saying that though, it all depends on what you want it for. Chopping 4x4's you'll need a 305mm. but you lose the finesse of a smaller saw. I have a Sip 305mm set up in my workshop and a Makita 216mm to take to jobs. Both have been very reliable over the years. Have a look in Screwfix or Machine Mart.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Those Evolution saws are fine for general use. I used one for many years and many projects, including cutting all the oak cladding for this building;

Barn by Scgwhite, on Flickr

It has some flex (they all do to a certain extent) and it needs careful setting of the fence to ensure squareness, but overall it is a great saw for the money.

I eventually replaced it with a Festool Kapex as I wanted something that would offer a glue-ready cut and repeatable and very accurate angles.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Those Evolution saws are fine for general use. I used one for many years and many projects, including cutting all the oak cladding for this building;

It has some flex (they all do to a certain extent) and it needs careful setting of the fence to ensure squareness, but overall it is a great saw for the money.

I eventually replaced it with a Festool Kapex as I wanted something that would offer a glue-ready cut and repeatable and very accurate angles.

Wow, what a fantastic building!

On paper, the Evolution saws do everything I would need and make a lot of sense - I just have a nagging concern that I'll get the one that the QC team missed. The 3 year warranty is encouraging though.

Thanks for the Festool Kapex suggestion:yikes:- on the one hand, it makes whatever I end up buying look like a bargain but slightly inadequate! ;)

My advice would be to go for the best you can afford. Saying that though, it all depends on what you want it for. Chopping 4x4's you'll need a 305mm. but you lose the finesse of a smaller saw. I have a Sip 305mm set up in my workshop and a Makita 216mm to take to jobs. Both have been very reliable over the years. Have a look in Screwfix or Machine Mart.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the SIP option as well but if I can do 3x2 and 8x1.5, that should cover most jobs.

Question. What can one of those do, that a mitre holding jig, and a beautiful old brass backed mitre saw cannot? If its only 2".......why spend all that money?

[Guess mine's a hobbyist's point of view......]

Nothing, I guess but although I love old saws, I'm not really a craftsman and find it difficult making repeated, quick and accurate cuts either freehand or with a jig without a lot of concentration. Although probably not for the purist, the ability to quickly churn out multiple cuts, accurate to less than a degree (and with angles not easy to do with a basic jig) without having to think or work too hard is very appealing whatever I end up buying will get very regular use. :)

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
We're on our second evolution saw. Both have done an awsome amount of work in wood and steel
I cut up the entire interior of our town hall for firewood with the first one

As said don't rely on the markings for square and they are pretty good....if you need to cut steel sections as well then they are pretty unbeatable
Erbauer blades are way cheaper and a thinner kerf too

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been brutalizing a 10" Delta single bevel since 1985. Everything from fence posts to trim molding, smoker BBQ apple wood and shingles.
Even cutting firewood. Magnificent and powerful work horse of a machine. Still, I have broken one drive belt.
Managed to flat a roller in the arbor shaft bearing. Very common bearing so easily found and replaced.
The accuracy is as good as I have come to expect.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for evolution rage 3+; double bevel crosscut is overpriced! Have a 3+ and can't complain at all. Great saw for the money but definitely swap the blade for a Freud if you do a lot of timber. As mentioned, Erbauer blade may be ok but haven't looked into them.
IMHO all saws need to be regularly checked for square; the evolution included but easily adjusted compared to others. I was in the same boat on choosing a new one and couldn't justify a more top end one for what I needed. The rage3+ comes with accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Should have been more clear. We only use wood/steel cutting blades....new ones for clean wood older ones for steel. For that use erbaur are a better buy than evolution

For just clean wood cutting theres a slew of good blades around

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
OP - I have a mitre saw stand with outfeed supports that is now surplus. Almost forgotten that I had it. It is a Bosch Professional - if you are interested I’m sure we could reach an arrangement...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
OP - I have a mitre saw stand with outfeed supports that is now surplus. Almost forgotten that I had it. It is a Bosch Professional - if you are interested I’m sure we could reach an arrangement...
Those Bosch pro line are the mutt's nuts, what size is it Si?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
How do you get planning permission to build a barn like that Si? Its like a granny flat isnt it? Or a summer house. [Mind boggles]

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've got the larger Evolution Rage 2. Couldn't be happier with it.

Well to be honest I've had two. Bought both on the evolution outlet store on eBay. The first was a "C" grade machine that died after a year. The current one is a "B" grade machine which was in noticeably better condition when it arrived. I use it virtually every day and have had no complaints.

The workshop I'm in uses one of the above machines and has no complaints. Worth the investment I'd say.

Andy

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Those Bosch pro line are the mutt's nuts, what size is it Si?

Bosch GTA2600. Nomad has dropped me a PM about it, but if it is too far for him to come, I'm after about £45 for it.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gta-2600-mitre-saw-stand-211241

How do you get planning permission to build a barn like that Si? Its like a granny flat isnt it? Or a summer house. [Mind boggles]

It was built under permitted development - under 4 metres tall, behind the front curtilage of the house and covering less than 50% of the land around the house. It's not quite as grand as a granny flat - it'd need full planning to be residential accommodation. The end furthest from the camera is a double garage, the large door is now a workshop and the door-and-windows end is a small garden and craft room.

More reading on my (hopelessly outdated) blog starting here; http://anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/oak-framing-first-day.html

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks, a lot of really helpful suggestions - really appreciated. A bit more research required but I’ll let you know what I end up with.

Cheers! :)

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I swear by Makita equipment, works without failures for a long time, they are professional standard tools, you will not regret buying Makita.

I have an early one of these when made by Elu 2" depth and 10" width cut, one of the most useful tools I own, a real workhorse, I don't know what I would do without it now.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dws773-gb-216mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/9008j

I have no idea if it is the same quality now being made by Dewalt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE